1. Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

Since 1997 i have been writing and using Euphoria programs with first Windows XL and later Windows 7 Premium desktops.

i now have moved to situation where I have no room for a desktop. So bought a Windows 7 Professional laptop.

A lot of my Euphoria programs no longer work. Especially those using the system and xcopy commands.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I no longer have access to my desktop.

How can I convert my Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Premium?

Don Cole

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

Hi,
I have bought a few Windows licenses from this (chinese?) link, its cheaper and do work, does registration OK. No "patching" etc needed.
link removed

HTH!
Cheers,
Alan

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

This is a case of solving the problem rather than answering the question. Let's examine the situation at hand: why are your system and xcopy not working for you?

I will tell you from experience that Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate, or even Server 2008 R2 Standard, etc. an have nary a difference when it comes to installing and running Euphoria programs. I have used all of them regularly and and with great success using Euphoria.

Using my psychic powers, I am going to guess predict that there is an issue with your PATH environment variable. This is what dictates where commands "live", such as xcopy, etc. Without a properly configured PATH environment variable, many commands will not work. Can you post the content of your PATH environment variable?

From a command line, you can type echo %PATH%. You can also right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables.

-Greg

4. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

fizzpopsoft said...

Hi,
I have bought a few Windows licenses from this (chinese?) link, its cheaper and do work, does registration OK. No "patching" etc needed.
link removed

HTH!
Cheers,
Alan

Hi

Not meaning to go all holy or judgemental on you, or to hijack this thread, but this looks very much like an illegal operation, with proceeds going to various nefarious organisations, including (and this is postulated, not evidence based) the likes of ISIS. ALso while it is tempting to buy these licenses, you have no gaurantee of authenticity, and a chance of coming under the increasingly vigilant gaze of microsoft.

Chris

5. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

Hi Don,
On Windows Seven Professional, you might have local group policy which could forbid executing software out of a set of allowed directories. To check it, press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
Regards
Jean-Marc

6. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

ghaberek said...

This is a case of solving the problem rather than answering the question. Let's examine the situation at hand: why are your system and xcopy not working for you?

I will tell you from experience that Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate, or even Server 2008 R2 Standard, etc. an have nary a difference when it comes to installing and running Euphoria programs. I have used all of them regularly and and with great success using Euphoria.

Using my psychic powers, I am going to guess predict that there is an issue with your PATH environment variable. This is what dictates where commands "live", such as xcopy, etc. Without a properly configured PATH environment variable, many commands will not work. Can you post the content of your PATH environment variable?

From a command line, you can type echo %PATH%. You can also right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables.

-Greg

--system path 
C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program F 
iles (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;%SystemRoot%\ 
system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsP 
owerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DA 
L;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program F 
iles (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x8 
6)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshi 
ba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\sys\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshib 
a Stack\sys\x64\ 

--user path 
C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;E:\EUPHORIA\BIN 

Don Cole

7. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

ChrisB said...

with proceeds going to various nefarious organisations, including (and this is postulated, not evidence based) the likes of ISIS.

Excuse me...? How about providing ANY such evidence before mentioning it then?
As an admin person especially, please read again the Euphoria code of conduct!
That said, if the link is improper, then remove it. Just trying to help. The site says its legal and the registrations do work. Which would not happen if the licenses were illegal.
Thanks.

8. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

fizzpopsoft said...
ChrisB said...

with proceeds going to various nefarious organisations, including (and this is postulated, not evidence based) the likes of ISIS.

Excuse me...? How about providing ANY such evidence before mentioning it then?
As an admin person especially, please read again the Euphoria code of conduct!

Since he's not making a comment about an individual person (or identifiable group of individuals), I don't believe that the CodeOfConduct has been violated here.

fizzpopsoft said...

That said, if the link is improper, then remove it. Just trying to help. The site says its legal and the registrations do work. Which would not happen if the licenses were illegal.
Thanks.

The registrations to what? The website itself? That doesn't mean anything. Heck, even _THIS_ website has registrations!

9. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

The OS "phones home" as in the Microsoft registration site, using the purchased keys, and then Windows is registered OK.
Same as the normal keys. I doubt Microsoft would allow illegal keys to be registered.
And no, I don't support illegal software, From VMWare workstation to Winrar, my software are paid for versions. I suggest we take this offline instead of hijacking this thread. You have my email address.

10. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

fizzpopsoft said...

The OS "phones home" as in the Microsoft registration site, using the purchased keys, and then Windows is registered OK.
Same as the normal keys. I doubt Microsoft would allow illegal keys to be registered.
And no, I don't support illegal software, From VMWare workstation to Winrar, my software are paid for versions. I suggest we take this offline instead of hijacking this thread. You have my email address.

After I raised additional concerns, fizzpopsoft says he won't be using that website anymore either.

The offline discussion resulted in the following suggestions:

fizzpopsoft said...

ChrisB could have handled this by removing the link, and mailing me privately

A suggestion, to be added to the Euphoria Code of Conduct perhaps: No links in forum posts other than pasty/dropbox of Euphoria content. Members can exchange other links via their own emails only when requested. Then the Euphoria site also avoids possible legal entanglements. Even have a disclaimer on the forum base page too?

Thoughts?

11. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

I don't know that this is a big problem. Most links are to pages owned by Eu programmers themselves.

I do wonder, however, about Microsoft licenses. There are OEM licenses, which probably are really cheap, so could be sold cheaply (against the company's agreement with MS, probably).

And MS must have a way for legit owners of Windows to re-install and re-license their paid-for copies. After all, Windows breaks every now and then. Maybe the licenses are somehow tagged as re-installs?

12. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

jimcbrown said...

Thoughts?

A complete over-reaction. If you ask me, as to the wild claims of funding terrorism and the like, they quite probably get more funds from apparently legit activities that downright suspicious ones anyway.

jimcbrown said...

The offline discussion resulted in the following suggestions:

fizzpopsoft said...

ChrisB could have handled this by removing the link, and mailing me privately

A suggestion, to be added to the Euphoria Code of Conduct perhaps: No links in forum posts other than pasty/dropbox of Euphoria content.

Whoh!

So we cannot have a link to a funny [OT] YouTube clip? Or a helpful MSDN page?

I see the link has already been removed. It would be better in my view for an admin to redirect suspicious links to an interim page along the lines of:

Warning: The following link may lead to harmful or illegal content. OpenEuphoria bears no responsibility for the contents of websites outside its control. Click at your own risk. 

<original link> 

And only actually remove links once you have proof beyond reasonable doubt, as the saying goes.

Pete

13. Re: Windows 7 Premium vs Windows 7 Profesional

What Pete suggests sounds fine, if the admins are OK with the extra policing duties.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu