1. OS X Installation

On the downloads page there is a link for OSX (should be ‘OS X’) http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/DownloadEuphoria.wc

Included in the package is 'installation.html', which does not mention OS X.

On this site, the installation page at http://openeuphoria.org/docs/installing_euphoria.html#_44_osx says:

2.1.3 OS X Look for an installation package for Apple installations. http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/DownloadEuphoria.wc

So I’ve come full circle, and have not found any OS X installation instructions.

Have I missed something, or are there not any OS X instructions? Does it boil down to ‘OS X is like Linux, do so Linux-like things on OS X’?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: OS X Installation

I do not have an Apple system and it is not likely that I ever will. That means depending on users (like you) to inform me how things work.

In general, I call everything unix which means Linux, BSD, and OSX. The other operating system is called windows.

(Since I don't understand Apple, I refer to OS X as OSX.)

As best as I understand, once compiled and packaged for Apple, everything should work similar to a Linux system.

Please share your discoveries on using OS X and Euphoria. I will put them into the next edition of the documentation.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: OS X Installation

Sure, happy to. I just wanted to ensure that I had not missed some little snippet somewhere.

4. Re: OS X Installation

CraigWelch said...

On the downloads page there is a link for OSX (should be ‘OS X’) http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/DownloadEuphoria.wc

It's here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rapideuphoria/files/Euphoria/4.0.5/euphoria-OSX-4.0.5-src.tar.gz/download

Translated C Source Code Releases 

For manual installation. 

Platform             Link 
FreeBSD  euphoria-FREEBSD-4.0.5.tar.gz 
Linux    euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5.tar.gz 
NetBSD   euphoria-NETBSD-4.0.5.tar.gz 
OpenBSD  euphoria-OPENBSD-4.0.5.tar.gz 
OS X     euphoria-OSX-4.0.5-src.tar.gz 

The few devs who own OSX boxen left active development quite some time ago, so for now the best we can do is the translated C source code releases.

5. Re: OS X Installation

jimcbrown said...

It's here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rapideuphoria/files/Euphoria/4.0.5/euphoria-OSX-4.0.5-src.tar.gz/download

For manual installation. 

The few devs who own OSX boxen left active development quite some time ago, so for now the best we can do is the translated C source code releases.

THAT'S A PITY, as I just acquired an iMac to test euphoria for its usefullness on OS X

6. Re: OS X Installation

Ekhnat0n said...
jimcbrown said...

For manual installation. 

THAT'S A PITY, as I just acquired an iMac to test euphoria for its usefullness on OS X

Well, if you'd like to join the dev team and start releasing OSX binaries for us, we'd all be on the ground begging and crying for you to join!

7. Re: OS X Installation

dear jim,

time and again i have offered my cooperation and begged vice-versa
to no avail AT ALL i must say.
it even brought me troubles with Kat, whom i admire for her keen mind and tenacity
especially as a programmer, but as a human being AND a woman as well
which brought her wrath upon me,

tell me in all honesty
WHY ON EARTH should i help, if i don't get the necessary response in this forum
or for that matter, in all of the openeu-community.

in real life one has to make choices and if no active support will be found, i will dedicate myself to a different cause that is even closer to my heart
as it is fulfilling my late wife's dying wish, which i promised to do.

8. Re: OS X Installation

Ekhnat0n said...

in real life one has to make choices

i will dedicate myself to a different cause that is even closer to my heart

as it is fulfilling my late wife's dying wish, which i promised to do.

No argument from me. I'm the last person to tell you to give up on your wife's final wish.

9. Re: OS X Installation

i can go time-sharing between both which i like best,because in due time openeu will help
fulfilling my wife's request. i am sure of that as i had a peek into the future
when i last got a NDE caused by one of the many severe COPD-attacks
i, alas, suffer from.

CONCLUSION:
When i will get actual active support here, i will dedicate 2 or 3 hrs daily to bringing my innovative input in routines as well as in guiding and overseeing the whole progress of euphoria through COMBINED, CONTROLLED and DEFINITE PROGRESSION towards one single goal

MAKNG EUPHORIA THE LANGUAGE N O PROGRAMMER WANTS TO BE WITHOUT.

10. Re: OS X Installation

I realise that I didn't complete my initial posting. Shortly after that post I just installed the Unix binaries and other files, and all was good.

However, I just went to install on a new Mac, running OS 10.11.5 (El Capitan) and ran into a snag, which I mention here (with fix) in case anyone else runs into it.

There is a new level of security in this OS, called System Integrity Protection , which means that the root user cannot access every directory. This means that you can't for example, install anything in /usr/bin. The two choices are to install in other directories, or over-ride the security.

I chose the latter. Here are the steps.

• Reboot, forcing recovery mode with command-R
  • Open a terminal from the Utilities menu
  • Enter 'csrutil disable'
  • Restart

You will now have the normal root access to the machine.

It would be prudent to re-enable SIP when finished.

11. Re: OS X Installation

Hi, Craig. I think it's probably a bad idea to disable SIP. Generally, user-installed binaries should reside in /usr/local/bin (which is exempted from SIP) or to a location in the user's home directory (if system-wide installation isn't required). The latter requires adding the path to /.bash_profile, naturally.

I think either of these options are probably easier/safer than disabling SIP, even temporarily.

12. Re: OS X Installation

MatthewMacGregor said...

Hi, Craig. I think it's probably a bad idea to disable SIP. Generally, user-installed binaries should reside in /usr/local/bin (which is exempted from SIP) or to a location in the user's home directory (if system-wide installation isn't required). The latter requires adding the path to ~/.bash_profile, naturally.

I think either of these options are probably easier/safer than disabling SIP, even temporarily.

Agreed; that seems unwise. On Linux, Euphoria wants to live in /usr/local. Is this not the case on OS X? I do not use a Mac.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu