1. Tutorial or Example of Internet Communication

I'm using a very primitive and no-doubt error-laden or slower-or-more-cumbersome-than-necessary process of having a remote program communicate with a server/host. Basically, I'm using HTTP. So, the client sends a HTTP request and gets a page back with the embedded results. I'd like to do some kind of direct communication. Is there an example or tutorial for doing this with Euphoria? If there's no tutorial, could somebody write one or get one started in the wiki? I would be so grateful!

EDIT/ADDED:

I guess I should give more information about what I would be doing!

My client contacts my server and they basically make sure they should be talking to each other (not a hack attempt).

Then, my client requests a file. Server sends it. Client continues to request files until all files received.

Client sends a final bit of data for logging on the server.

Close connection.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Tutorial or Example of Internet Communication

You're probably looking for a finite state machine.

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPOperationalOverviewandtheTCPFiniteStateMachineF-2.htm

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Tutorial or Example of Internet Communication

euphoric said...

I guess I should give more information about what I would be doing!

My client contacts my server and they basically make sure they should be talking to each other (not a hack attempt).

Then, my client requests a file. Server sends it. Client continues to request files until all files received.

Client sends a final bit of data for logging on the server.

Close connection.

Isn't that pretty much what Pete Eberlein's WEE updater.ex does? Without the security checks, of course, but you could figure out how to do that, I think.

4. Re: Tutorial or Example of Internet Communication

irv said...
euphoric said...

... My client contacts my server and they basically make sure they should be talking to each other (not a hack attempt). ...

Isn't that pretty much what Pete Eberlein's WEE updater.ex does? Without the security checks, of course, but you could figure out how to do that, I think.

Good point, irv! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out today.

5. Re: Tutorial or Example of Internet Communication

Years ago I did something similar using one of the various socket libraries available for Euphoria.

I've been looking for the code, but it's long gone. Which is why I can't recall which library it was. But it worked just fine.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu