1. Openeuphoria.org backups

jimcbrown said...
jeremy said...

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 03:43:49PM -0500, Jeremy Cowgar wrote: I've only partially followed this. Do you guys have a good backup to restore? I know a while ago there was an issue identified, I am hoping someone picked up backing up oe.org <http://oe.org/>.

Jeremy

Has anyone picked up on this issue yet? AFAIK we still don't have a solution (or current backups).

Moving this to the forum since no one on the admin list ever responded to this, so we're now reaching out to the wider community for help.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

What are we looking for here? Regular backups of the site files and the database? We don't have that going on already?

Also, I'm not sure if "oe.org" is supposed to be a separate domain or if it's just short-hand for openeuphoria.org.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

jimcbrown said...
jimcbrown said...
jeremy said...

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 03:43:49PM -0500, Jeremy Cowgar wrote: I've only partially followed this. Do you guys have a good backup to restore? I know a while ago there was an issue identified, I am hoping someone picked up backing up oe.org <http://oe.org/>.

Jeremy

Has anyone picked up on this issue yet? AFAIK we still don't have a solution (or current backups).

Moving this to the forum since no one on the admin list ever responded to this, so we're now reaching out to the wider community for help.

I got a VPS on http://linode.com to experiment with a euphoria-based website and other services for the Redy project. Once I get it configured, i don't mind adding an account for the open euphoria dev team to do backups or automated builds.

4. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

ghaberek said...

What are we looking for here? Regular backups of the site files and the database?

Yes, exactly.

ghaberek said...

We don't have that going on already?

No. We used to with Jeremy, but he lost all of his old backups and is no longer able to provide a regular backup service.

ghaberek said...

Also, I'm not sure if "oe.org" is supposed to be a separate domain or if it's just short-hand for openeuphoria.org.

It's shorthand. AFAIK we don't own, use, or have anything to do with the actual domain called "oe.org"

5. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

ryanj said...

I got a VPS on http://linode.com to experiment with a euphoria-based website and other services for the Redy project. Once I get it configured, i don't mind adding an account for the open euphoria dev team to do backups or automated builds.

That would be perfect! We could get backups and eubins going at the same time.

6. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

Hi

How big are the backups?

Chris

7. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

That would be perfect! We could get backups and eubins going at the same time.

Ok, i will try to get the server configured this weekend, then we can work out the details through email. I got this server because it's only $10/mo and i wanted to have the ability to do some things for http://redy-project.org/ that i can't do on a shared web host, and i won't be using many resources. So, i don't mind sharing it with the eu community for free. As long as Euphoria makes progress! blink

I assume this user account would need access to ssh, http, ftp, mysql, and the ability to install/execute programs such as euphoria, scripts, compilers, etc. within the user's folders, and be allowed a certain amount of disk space. Am i forgetting anything?

Perhaps It could host a nice-looking eubins page, and be used for euweb experiments and testing. It could even host a temporary backup site if the main site goes down again. Perhaps it could host email accounts or mailing list for the dev team, too. Just throwing a few ideas out there.

Also, it would probably be nice to point a subdomain of openeuphoria.org to the public folder of that user account. What would be a good subdomain? Perhaps "eubins", "builds", "dev", "development"?

8. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

ChrisB said...

Hi

How big are the backups?

Chris

A database dump is currently around 2.2G

9. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

jimcbrown said...
ChrisB said...

Hi

How big are the backups?

Chris

Wow, i didn't realize it was that big. I can probably offer 12GB of storage, and there is a 2TB/mo traffic limit. Does that sound reasonable?

10. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

ryanj said...

Wow, i didn't realize it was that big. I can probably offer 12GB of storage, and there is a 2TB/mo traffic limit. Does that sound reasonable?

I have surplus space on my website of appr. 15Gb (no trafficlimit),
so there could be a multiple back-up choice.

I can open a directory oe on it so the link would be to oe.buscadero.nl.

I could provide an index-file with all files listed if none exists yet
though it would ofc take some time creating that

Antoine

11. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

Honestly , no insult intended for anyone offering personal resources....., but if the Euphoria data (backups) are important, it makes more sense to store that data somewhere under the Eu admins exclusive ownership ? If a external site owner suddenly has a beef and decides to delete the backups, or does not renew his site, the backups are gone forever. FWIW money was donated a long time ago, with the suggestion that it gets used to host a decent Euphoria server - the last post on that subject was that the money had yet to be spent. So how about it, admins - no time like the present?

12. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

ryanj said...
jimcbrown said...
ChrisB said...

Hi

How big are the backups?

Chris

Yes, we can probably live with that (we'd probably only need the last couple of days), especially if we have alternative backup sites.

Ekhnat0n said...

I have surplus space on my website of appr. 15Gb (no trafficlimit), so there could be a multiple back-up choice.

That would be perfect.

Ekhnat0n said...

I can open a directory oe on it so the link would be to oe.buscadero.nl

I could provide an index-file with all files listed if none exists yet though it would ofc take some time creating that

Not sure if this is necessary. We just need a place to dump files, not mirror the site itself.

fizzpopsoft said...

Honestly , no insult intended for anyone offering personal resources....., but if the Euphoria data (backups) are important, it makes more sense to store that data somewhere under the Eu admins exclusive ownership ?

This makes sense, but no single alternative place is bullet-proof. This is why I like the idea of having multiple backup locationss so much.

fizzpopsoft said...

If a external site owner suddenly has a beef and decides to delete the backups, or does not renew his site, the backups are gone forever.

Agreed. However, it's certainly possible for a hosting provider to up and disappear in the middle of the night, taking all our backups with them as well (though very unlikely).

fizzpopsoft said...

FWIW money was donated a long time ago, with the suggestion that it gets used to host a decent Euphoria server - the last post on that subject was that the money had yet to be spent. So how about it, admins - no time like the present?

I see no reason not to choose to do all of the above - the more the merrier.

13. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

jimcbrown said...

I'm not sure what is required.

If it helps, I have a domain that has ample disk space available and a 500GB/mo limit and it's already being used to host the images that Tom is generating for the wiki and documentation.

I'm not sure what software is require to do the back ups. I can set up a Web Disk account for us to use. Talk to me off-forum about details.

14. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

DerekParnell said...
jimcbrown said...

I'm not sure what is required. If it helps, I have a domain that has ample disk space available and a 500GB/mo limit and it's already being used to host the images that Tom is generating for the wiki and documentation. I'm not sure what software is require to do the back ups. I can set up a Web Disk account for us to use. Talk to me off-forum about details.

Currently I am applying for crowd-funding to develop an invention I did.
As soon as the funds are fully co-signed I will set up a server
with appr 10Tb space and am willing to offer the OE-community
a full 1Tb on a dedicated NAS-RAID server that will be 24/7/365.25 online.
I only need a mere 5000 Euro to do my thing and expect it to be made
available within the next 60 days. That's what it took
a similar initiative to be fully funded.

15. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

DerekParnell said...

Talk to me off-forum about details.

Actually, I had sent you several emails prior to bring this up on the forum, but you never responded.... if you want to take this off the forum, please send me an email at my openeuphoria.org address.

16. Re: Openeuphoria.org backups

If someone could tell me what to backup AND where to find it
I could do it asap, so there will be at least ONE copy available
in case things go wrong.

I created a dedicated directory on my site called open-eu
where the stuff will go.
Probably a zip-file of everything would be the best solution for now
For extra safety I will keep all of it on one of my Hd's too.

Ekhy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu