1. Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

Two months ago, i released Redy Application Environment Version 1.0.a1. Since then, i have been thinking about the goals and direction of this project, which has gone through many iterations over the years. I will probably release an update in another month or two, after i finish some important features. Here is the current roadmap of the Redy project:

Redy will be split into 3 separate packages, which can be downloaded and updated separately: redylib, RedyCode, and RedyOS.

redylib

This is the core of Redy, a standard library that makes up the Redy application environment. This library contains .e files that provide a standardized way of designing GUI applications in Euphoria. This library is what you use to make a "redy application", which is simply a Euphoria program that includes redylib files and follows the necessary guidelines and standards.

RedyCode

This is an Integrated Development Environment that helps you write Euphoria source code with advanced features such as syntax highlighting, context sensitive help, running, binding, or translating Euphoria programs, analizing runtime errors, visual GUI builder, etc. This is the first and most important Redy application. It will be optimized for helping you write other Redy applications. An installation of RedyCode has a bound RedyCode.exe executable so you don't even need Euphoria installed to run it, and can contain (and allow updates for) copies of various versions of Euphoria and redylib. It can be run as a portable application, which you can even put on a flash drive if you want. Because RedyCode lets you run Euphoria programs directly, you don't have to worry about installing or configuring Euphoria to run redy applications.

RedyOS

Once Redy is mature (perhaps after 1.0 final is released), i will begin working on a complete embedded solution that combines a Linux or BSD kernel, Euphoria, redylib, and a collection of Redy applications that can be run on a PC or an ARM platform. It will contain useful applications such as a shell, filemanager, RedyCode, and other useful applications. RedyOS could be used to create a very simple specialized computer to perform specific tasks, such as making a GUI for controlling machinery. RedyOS will let you have a very lightweight shell on a computer that can let you manage files, launch redy applications, and create your own redy applications very easily (with RedyCode), in a full-screen Redy GUI environment.

My intention is that people would simply download and install RedyCode, and it would include the latest stable version of Euphoria and redylib. You can immediately start writing redy applications with RedyCode and run or release them easily, using the provided tools. Any time a new version of Euphoria or redylib comes out, you will be able to download updates directly from the RedyCode application itself. The goal is to make RedyCode as easy to use as possible, and provide a very professional, beautiful, and complete solution for Euphoria GUI programming.

I have made good progress on the syntax-highlighting text editor (written in 100% pure Euphoria!). After i fix a few bugs and finish some other GUI layout stuff, I will begin releasing alpha versions of RedyCode, probably starting in a month or two. Here's a screenshot of my textedit.e test app:

http://redy-project.org/images/screenshots/2015-01-18%2010_26_25-Redy%20-%20textedit.e%20test.png

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

Obviously a lot of hours have been invested here - looks like an exciting new tool! Am anxious to give it a spin once RedyCode is ready for prime time and will be watching closely here as you progress.

Thanks for all the work.

Tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

Looking good. Redy looks like it will be a great addition to Euphoria.

4. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

Icy_Viking said...

Thanks. I have been very busy at work, but i should have time to continue working on Redy in the next week or two. I have a list of features to add as soon as i have time to work on it. I am not just designing a theoretical platform, but constantly re-evaluating my design to work with real-world situations. Progress is slower than i hoped, since i have to earn a living, but i continue to work on it when i have time.

I actually use Redy at my "day job" because it seems to be the easiest (and totally free) way to make programs that do what i need to get the job done. I am going to continue working on an application that communicates with devices over USB and collects data to store in files and display charts. It works beautifully, but there are a few features i still need to add. This will be a very good test scenario to help me make progress on Redy.

Currently, the biggest needs seem to be 1) multi-tasking/multi-core/multi-process communication, 2) good graphics performance and features 3) good tools and techniques for designing large/complex applications in a way that is easy to manage.

I have probably said this before, but i have no intention of putting down other efforts to make GUI libraries for Euphoria, such as EuGTK. I simply want to see what Euphoria is able to do without depending on 3rd party libraries, and at the same time, experiment with different ideas that could contribute to computer design in general (especially high-level proramming languages, OS, and GUI design).

I am curious, has anyone actually used Redy to make anything yet? Does anyone have suggestions or comments about the design of Redy?

5. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

ryanj said...
Icy_Viking said...

Thanks. I have been very busy at work, but i should have time to continue working on Redy in the next week or two. I have a list of features to add as soon as i have time to work on it. I am not just designing a theoretical platform, but constantly re-evaluating my design to work with real-world situations. Progress is slower than i hoped, since i have to earn a living, but i continue to work on it when i have time.

I actually use Redy at my "day job" because it seems to be the easiest (and totally free) way to make programs that do what i need to get the job done. I am going to continue working on an application that communicates with devices over USB and collects data to store in files and display charts. It works beautifully, but there are a few features i still need to add. This will be a very good test scenario to help me make progress on Redy.

Currently, the biggest needs seem to be 1) multi-tasking/multi-core/multi-process communication, 2) good graphics performance and features 3) good tools and techniques for designing large/complex applications in a way that is easy to manage.

I have probably said this before, but i have no intention of putting down other efforts to make GUI libraries for Euphoria, such as EuGTK. I simply want to see what Euphoria is able to do without depending on 3rd party libraries, and at the same time, experiment with different ideas that could contribute to computer design in general (especially high-level proramming languages, OS, and GUI design).

I am curious, has anyone actually used Redy to make anything yet? Does anyone have suggestions or comments about the design of Redy?

That is all good news. I can't wait to see what new features will Redy will have. I haven't made anything with Redy yet, but I do have plans to.

6. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

I forgot to mention, i will probably change the license of Redy from LesserGPL to something more like the MIT License. I would like to discuss this with the community before the next release. What license do you think Redy should be released under?

7. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

ryanj said...

I forgot to mention, i will probably change the license of Redy from LesserGPL to something more like the MIT License. I would like to discuss this with the community before the next release. What license do you think Redy should be released under?

The MIT licence allows closed source derivative works, and even if that is what you want,

http://www.catb.org/~esr/Licensing-HOWTO.html said...

The MIT license is one of the first-generation academic-style licenses. It is still very widely used, especially in connection with the the code for the X window system.

This license is obsolete. It is poorly crafted for modern conditions. The OSI recommends AFL instead; see the commentary attached to AFL for a discussion of the the MIT licence's weaknesses.

Anyway, after wasting most of yesterday researching these licences (why does everything have to be so complicated?),

Phix said...

Licence

Phix is open source. You can do pretty much anything you like with it, except:

• Ship a closed source version of it or vary the availability of any part, original or additional.
  • Publish a "cut down" version unless you also provide a clearly visible link to a "complete" version.
  • Prohibit the inclusion of any modifications/ideas to Phix into future releases by any other party.
  • Object in any way other than meaningful and civilised debate should they be or not be incorporated.
  • Delete or obscure any author or origin details, or otherwise falsely claim any part as your own work.
  • Make malicious changes of any kind, including any intended to defame or discredit either author or product.
  • Implicate the product in any activity deemed illegal under current UK law, irrespective of your location.

You may sell a modified version of Phix, as long as you do not give away part of it. The source and binaries of the compiler itself are deemed "as one" and cannot be sold or given away separately. A reasonable "cut down" version might exclude all the non-essential demo\bench\test\doc\sfx stuff, but if the compiler sources are omitted they must be readily available elsewhere. Should you publish a modified version of Phix you automatically grant an absolute right to all interested parties to freely plagiarise or reverse engineer any useful features. Such rights do not extend to products or features unrelated to the compilation, interpretation, debugging, analysis, or production of plain text source code that just happen to be written in Phix.

The compiler itself is released under the strongly copyleft Open Software License version 3.0 whereby any derivative work must be afforded the same rights (source code etc) as the original work, while the run-time and library components, along with all demo programs, are released under it’s much more permissive companion the Academic Free License version 3.0 which is non-copyleft and allows use of those items in commercial closed source proprietary applications.

I am still open to a bit of discussion, criticism and ridicule to this...

Pete

8. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

petelomax said...
Phix said...

The compiler itself is released under the strongly copyleft Open Software License version 3.0 whereby any derivative work must be afforded the same rights (source code etc) as the original work, while the run-time and library components, along with all demo programs, are released under it’s much more permissive companion the Academic Free License version 3.0 which is non-copyleft and allows use of those items in commercial closed source proprietary applications.

Pete

Now that i think of it, the Redy project has a similar situation: redylib is a library but RedyCode and other applications using redylib are programs. Perhaps they should have difference licenses.

9. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

ryanj said...
petelomax said...
Phix said...

Pete

Now that i think of it, the Redy project has a similar situation: redylib is a library but RedyCode and other applications using redylib are programs. Perhaps they should have difference licenses.

I am considering releasing redylib under the The BSD 2-Clause License. What do you think?

10. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

ryanj said...

I am considering releasing redylib under the The BSD 2-Clause License. What do you think?

It is nice and simple, but one thing I like about Apache License, Version 2.0 (or here) and Academic Free License 3.0 are the patent litigation clauses (points 3 and 10 respectively).

Pete

11. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

No matter which license you choose, it's only good until my patent on the process of suing people to make money is approved. Bwa ha ha!

Maybe I shouldn't laugh, I think you could patent that as a business process in the US, if you throw enough lawyers at the problem.

Maybe I should patent the process of throwing lawyers...

12. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

irv said...

No matter which license you choose, it's only good until my patent on the process of suing people to make money is approved. Bwa ha ha!

Maybe I shouldn't laugh, I think you could patent that as a business process in the US, if you throw enough lawyers at the problem.

Maybe I should patent the process of throwing lawyers...

hah smile

It has been a while since i have been able to work on this, but i am back! Tomorrow, i will begin working on Redy all day, for at least 1 week.

I don't really see the point of including patent stuff, and i prefer a license that isn't so wordy, so I am pretty sure i will use the BSD 2-Clause License for redylib. Aapplications that i write in Redy will have the same license by default.

I have been keeping up on the progress of Wee and EuGTK and other topics on the forum as much as possible. It is good to see activity in the Euphoria community.

I have been thinking about what direction to take the Redy project and how it can benefit the Euphoria community. I am mostly interested in building "large" applications in Euphoria, meaning applications that may have many parts or modules that need to be well-organized to work together without overly-complex source code. I have been thinking about some solutions, and i will continue to work on them in the next week.

13. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

petelomax said...
ryanj said...

It is nice and simple, but one thing I like about Apache License, Version 2.0 (or here) and Academic Free License 3.0 are the patent litigation clauses (points 3 and 10 respectively).

Pete

I am so indecisive! Maybe i will use the Apache 2.0 License after all (for RedyLib). Although it is wordier, it defines terms more clearly.

14. Re: Redy 1.0.0 roadmap

ryanj said...

I don't really see the point of including patent stuff

It is just that in the unlikely event that someone decides to sue me, then at least they cannot also carry on using my stuff!

When I hear about patents like Amazon's "one-click buy now", British Telecoms "hyperlink", or just how many thousands and thousands of patents have been amassed by companies like IBM/Apple/Microsoft, I know that something is wrong.

Software patents are [far more often than not] so absurd it is absolutely inconceivable that you have ever written even one single program that does not somehow infringe at least one of them.

Pete

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu