1. official pseudonym and proxy policy

I wanted to get everyones thoughts on an anonimity policy.

I can not, in good conscience, condemn anyone for wanting to use Tor or anoy other anonymizer to hide their identity from the government or from the Five Eyes - certainly not after Snowden's revelations. Tor promotes an individual's right to privacy, and I'm all for that.

I also can not see any good reason to prevent an individual from using a pseudonym. In fact, I think we should go the other way, and disallow or at least discourage attempts to force a pseudonym user to reveal their true identity. (Of course, I think such pseudonyms should also be reasonable - no foul language should be used in making one, for example.)

Still, this is just what I think. I want to see how the rest of the community feels before I take this any further.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: official pseudonym and proxy policy

jimcbrown said...

I wanted to get everyones thoughts on an anonimity policy.

I can not, in good conscience, condemn anyone for wanting to use Tor or anoy other anonymizer to hide their identity from the government or from the Five Eyes - certainly not after Snowden's revelations. Tor promotes an individual's right to privacy, and I'm all for that.

I also can not see any good reason to prevent an individual from using a pseudonym. In fact, I think we should go the other way, and disallow or at least discourage attempts to force a pseudonym user to reveal their true identity. (Of course, I think such pseudonyms should also be reasonable - no foul language should be used in making one, for example.)

Still, this is just what I think. I want to see how the rest of the community feels before I take this any further.

I don't see how the privacy concerns you mentioned apply to our forum. This is a programming forum, and all we talk about is programming. We are not talking politics or the like, and no one could be remotely interested in knowing our names.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: official pseudonym and proxy policy

Sounds like you're looking to solve a problem without stating what the problem is.

- David

4. Re: official pseudonym and proxy policy

dcuny said...

Sounds like you're looking to solve a problem without stating what the problem is.

- David

It's quite easy to guess what the problem is, even if it has not been stated.

IMHO the proposed solution (i.e. policy restrictions) seems to be a bit overengineered.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu