1. Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

ryanj said...

<snip>

Development has been so slow that i honestly can't even remember what the difference is between 4.0.5 and 4.1 beta, or when i tried various builds. Normally, a "development" release can be used for awhile and then it becomes "stable", but this 4.1 beta has been taking so long that it is getting to the point where i feel like i don't know what version to use. I have been spending a couple years developing some software (proprietary stuff for work that has to be commercial-quality, not just open-source hobby stuff, not sofware that is sold, but software that is a utility for our hardware products), thinking that 4.1 final would have all the bugs fixed by the time my projects are released to the public, but it is taking so long that i may have to go through the hassle of trying to revert back to 4.0.5 just to get basic stuff working, like run-time error reports that don't die before generating an ex.err and actually being able to bind an exe with an icon. It is really discouraging that basic stuff doesn't work! Dev team, please don't let your ~2 years go to waste because you couldn't finish the last 5%!

<snip>

But i feel like we are really lacking updates from the people who actually work on the Euphoria source code! That is, if anyone is even working on it...

Some things that could be clarified:

• What is going on with the 151-something open tickets? How many of these are valid, and how many just need to be closed?
  • What known bugs are being worked on?
  • What developers are even planning on doing more work, and when?
  • What areas need more help from other people who could step up and work on stuff?
  • Why is 4.1 beta stalled? What needs to be done to finalize 4.1?
  • Why should we even care about 4.1? Why is it potentially better than 4.0.5? What improvements have been made?

Please, try to answer some of these questions, so the community can have an idea of what is going on! It's fine if it takes another year or two to finish 4.1....we just need an update of what's going on!

Despite all the comments on his original thread, not a one of Ryan's questions and suggestions were addressed by the devs. Some of us still would like to see answers to these questions, and anything else of Euphoria's future that you'd like to comment on.

Kat

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

katsmeow said...
ryanj said...

<snip>

Development has been so slow that i honestly can't even remember what the difference is between 4.0.5 and 4.1 beta, or when i tried various builds. Normally, a "development" release can be used for awhile and then it becomes "stable", but this 4.1 beta has been taking so long that it is getting to the point where i feel like i don't know what version to use. I have been spending a couple years developing some software (proprietary stuff for work that has to be commercial-quality, not just open-source hobby stuff, not sofware that is sold, but software that is a utility for our hardware products), thinking that 4.1 final would have all the bugs fixed by the time my projects are released to the public, but it is taking so long that i may have to go through the hassle of trying to revert back to 4.0.5 just to get basic stuff working, like run-time error reports that don't die before generating an ex.err and actually being able to bind an exe with an icon. It is really discouraging that basic stuff doesn't work! Dev team, please don't let your ~2 years go to waste because you couldn't finish the last 5%!

<snip>

But i feel like we are really lacking updates from the people who actually work on the Euphoria source code! That is, if anyone is even working on it...

Some things that could be clarified:

• What is going on with the 151-something open tickets? How many of these are valid, and how many just need to be closed?
  • What known bugs are being worked on?
  • What developers are even planning on doing more work, and when?
  • What areas need more help from other people who could step up and work on stuff?
  • Why is 4.1 beta stalled? What needs to be done to finalize 4.1?
  • Why should we even care about 4.1? Why is it potentially better than 4.0.5? What improvements have been made?

Please, try to answer some of these questions, so the community can have an idea of what is going on! It's fine if it takes another year or two to finish 4.1....we just need an update of what's going on!

Despite all the comments on his original thread, not a one of Ryan's questions and suggestions were addressed by the devs. Some of us still would like to see answers to these questions, and anything else of Euphoria's future that you'd like to comment on.

Kat

True. It's sad to say this, but most of the recent threads regarding the development of Euphoria, in which the users have posed legitimate questions, have been largely ignored by the developers. While there is usually a lot of detailed discussion about minutiae and highly technical issues of the language, in which the developers willingly take part, the general questions about language development remain largely unanswered. It looks as if this topic is not to be discussed. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I have even started suspecting that there might be a stonewalling policy on this topic on the part of the developers, for whatever reason.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

GreenEuphorian said...

True. It's sad to say this, but most of the recent threads regarding the development of Euphoria, in which the users have posed legitimate questions, have been largely ignored by the developers.

Evidence? This is a pretty serious accusation. Devs who took part in the previous thread at http://openeuphoria.org/forum/125643.wc#125643 include DerekParnell, _tom, and SDPringle ... and ryanj.

GreenEuphorian said...

While there is usually a lot of detailed discussion about minutiae and highly technical issues of the language, in which the developers willingly take part, the general questions about language development remain largely unanswered.

Well, there is a roadmap on the wiki.

GreenEuphorian said...

It looks as if this topic is not to be discussed. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I have even started suspecting that there might be a stonewalling policy on this topic on the part of the developers, for whatever reason.

I can confirm that there is no stonewalling policy on this topic on the part of the developers. Heck, ryanj *IS* a developer himself! Yes, that means ryanj is one of the devs who has not addressed the answers to his own questions....

4. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

Do we want to wait until we have a bug-free product before release? Ah, I would like to say 'yes'. There are five bugs that have blocking or major status. We should squash all of the bugs that have to do with 4.0 in the 4.0 branch as we normally do.

Many of the bugs that say "fixed please confirm", mean the dev has put the fix but needs another developer or perhaps the user to test to see if the fix really worked. This may seem strange but a dev, may not have access to MacOS. How can we encourage people to test things marked as 'fixed please confirm'?

On that note, if you can checkout 4.0, and confirm you have tests/t_881-1.e and tests/t_881-2.e you can confirm whether these bugs are fixed. Use 'make all test'. Then walk away, go out for the day. When it comes back it will not say anything about t_881-*.e failing. If it does let us know here.

It would be nice if the tickets kept a set of checkboxes for all of the platforms and CPU kinds, so I could just checkbox 'Linux' and 'x86' and see which bugs one can test or fix.

5. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

jimcbrown said...
GreenEuphorian said...

True. It's sad to say this, but most of the recent threads regarding the development of Euphoria, in which the users have posed legitimate questions, have been largely ignored by the developers.

Evidence? This is a pretty serious accusation. Devs who took part in the previous thread at http://openeuphoria.org/forum/125643.wc#125643 include DerekParnell, _tom, and SDPringle ... and ryanj.

Ok, I may have overstated my case a bit. Sorry about that.

6. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

GreenEuphorian said...
jimcbrown said...
GreenEuphorian said...

Ok, I may have overstated my case a bit. Sorry about that.

no problem.

Speaking solely for myself, the reason I haven't answered any of ryanj's questions is because they're just plain hard to answer. I don't think anyone else knows any more than ryanj himself on this subject.

7. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

jimcbrown said...
GreenEuphorian said...

GreenEuphorian said...

While there is usually a lot of detailed discussion about minutiae and highly technical issues of the language, in which the developers willingly take part, the general questions about language development remain largely unanswered.

Well, there is a roadmap on the wiki.

GreenEuphorian said...

It looks as if this topic is not to be discussed. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I have even started suspecting that there might be a stonewalling policy on this topic on the part of the developers, for whatever reason.

I can confirm that there is no stonewalling policy on this topic on the part of the developers. Heck, ryanj *IS* a developer himself! Yes, that means ryanj is one of the devs who has not addressed the answers to his own questions....

I am on the dev team but I don't even know what's going on! I can't seem to get much information from the rest of the dev team. I would like to see more communication about what needs to be done, which is why i have asked these questions. If we can't even talk about what needs to be done so people who might just need a little encouragement will start pitching in, how do we expect 4.1 to ever get done?

I am still waiting to get some information. I find it hard to believe that nobody on the dev team knows what's going on. Whoever worked on something, please share what you know. Lets put the pieces together so why have a starting point, and move forward. By the way, what happened to the old dev team mailing list that used to give all the devs a way to communicate with eachother? I stopped receiving email from that for me a long time ago, and i don't know why.

8. Re: Euphoria 4.1 status? Dev team, what's going on? [Part 2]

ryanj said...

I am still waiting to get some information. I find it hard to believe that nobody on the dev team knows what's going on. Whoever worked on something, please share what you know. Lets put the pieces together so why have a starting point, and move forward. By the way, what happened to the old dev team mailing list that used to give all the devs a way to communicate with eachother? I stopped receiving email from that for me a long time ago, and i don't know why.

The hardest part of getting something release is polishing and building everything and getting it out the door. It's a major PITA and no one likes doing it.

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu