1. Euphoria's future?

I saw a recent message saying "Euphoria is Dying!" Hope it's untrue - I love Euphoria. But Eu is full of prickly puzzles (if you're a slow learner like me!). These puzzles seem invisible to more experienced folk! The future of Euphoria might depend on how many learners feel inadequate and discouraged in the first few weeks of trying! Sounds daft, but I'm quite serious.

My experience suggests that a 'guru' needs plenty of feedback from his class. Without that, he can't see the problems! That isn't easy with lessons on the Internet. Let's be fair, I wouldn't have got as far as I have without lots of good tutorial stuff. I'm grateful! IT IS GOOD, but could it be better?

Don't ask me how - I don't know: but could there be a better "ladder" (perhaps with one single source, and one recommended version) for users who need to master a new topic? Could it, in some clever way, be shaped significantly by feedback from struggling learners? Could it make Euphoria MORE WIDELY LOVED AND USED? It would need inspired work by lots of people, I'm sure. But even after I've been able to produce one or two quite encouraging programs, I can still find it difficult to locate the right advice, in a format I can understand, when I need it. It's there all right, but ...

Does anyone else feel this way? Phil

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria's future?

I think we did an excellent job with the offline documentation. I wish Java had a offline documentation that you could quickly search through.

You could give a read through that. That is about 100 pages.

One of the gotchas in Euphoria 4 and greater is the limit of the for loop is cached. So this routine crashes:

for i = 1 to length(s) do 
   if s[i] = ' ' then 
      s = s[1..i-1] & s[i+1..$] 
   end if 
end for 

Because the length of s is cached, the loop continues to the original length of s, even when s shortens.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria's future?

newphil82 said...

..., I can still find it difficult to locate the right advice, in a format I can understand, when I need it. It's there all right, but ...

Does anyone else feel this way? Phil

When I first started to learn programming I had many many questions, such as "what is the difference between logical and bitwise operators as NOT, OR, AND, etc?". Now it looks so simple and useful, but when I was a beginner all these questions bothered me so much; and I didn't have Internet or books, not even high school education.

It could be very useful for beginners in Euphoria to have variety of books and tutorials, in different levels and teaching methods - but I guess that Euphoria is not as known as BASIC or C. Yet, my advice for any beginner is to learn by enjoying, i.e. as long as you enjoy to learn the most simple things, you will get better naturally; since things become more clear if you practice them again and again.

4. Re: Euphoria's future?

Euphoria is not dying, of course. However, its development is so slow that it actually seems to have stalled.

Most of the topics discussing Euphoria's development focus on features and technical details. Instead, the most important topic to be discussed is the overall situation of the language development, which unfortunately looks bleak. We do have a roadmap, but no clear timeline, no release cycle. Hence the slowness of development. The lack of resources seems to be the main stumbling block.

5. Re: Euphoria's future?

My personal creed is: Nothing is impossible. So maybe one day, hopefully soon, aid might come from unexpected sources. Euphoria is the language to connect any other language with each other and allows tools etc on virtually any OS (at least at the most used ones). As soon as we can convince C(plusplus)-programmers and the like they could do a hell of a lot better jobs and more readable work in Euphoria we are on the right way and I think I found a convincing argument to make them look not just twice but over and again at the beauty of Robert Craig's mental child.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu