1. Curious

I thought this might be interesting.

Would anyone who has earned the equivalent of, let's say, $1000 US or more using Euphoria please add to this list:

Irv

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Curious

Hi

Given that veterinary practice management systems can easily cost upwards of £6000 per year, and I've been using JetvetSQL for 10 years or so, I'd say that qualifies.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Curious

I use Euphoria at work, mostly for configuring devices over a USB serial adapter (writing serial numbers to EEPROM) and getting data from them, so i do some Euphoria programming on the clock.

4. Re: Curious

I have never made any money writing Euphoria programs. Though I haven't wrote much software in Euphoria, I have written, I was hoping to maybe make some money through a few donations or so, but that didn't happen. Oh well, writing programs in Euphoria is pretty fun. I do hope to one day make some money writing software in Euphoria. Also, for those of wondering, my programs written in Euphoria are on the Euphoria site, however using my name Andy P.

5. Re: Curious

These days nobody makes money from anything. And even if you do make money - the tax is too high. It's not Euphoria's fault.

My ex-boss asked me to write the program, in Euphoria, for his new machine. He's already investing 500,000$ for research. I know that this machine should earn many millions of dollars - but for what? all this money goes back to the government for funding the war. And soon the US dollar will be equal to zero. Honestly, this is not Euphoria's fault.

6. Re: Curious

I don't think anyone is blaming Euphoria in this thread, per se. It's more about how many people have made money writing programs in Euphoria.

7. Re: Curious

Whilst being paid, in a general sense, I had to compare several vast (>150MB of text) sql database configs, and the only way I could think of doing it was with Eu (ok, technically it was Phix), and that one task alone effectively netted me about £1000 (UK), does that count? On reflection though, it kinda cost me several grand...

I also wrote a hotkey doobrie which shaved off maybe 4 hours of rsi-inducing monotony in InstallShield (an unbelievably awful piece of shit imo), that I was forced to use at least 40 times a year, before I quit that job.

I've never actually been paid to use Eu/Phix, just chose the best tool, when appropriate, and not once had me wrists slapped for it.

Pete

8. Re: Curious

irv said...

Would anyone who has earned the equivalent of, let's say, $1000 US or more using Euphoria please add to this list:

I have used euphoria many times as part of my normal job over the years. I'm sure that the hours involved added up to more than $1000 in salary.

Matt

9. Re: Curious

A looong time ago, when I was seriously broke, and could not afford Visual Basic, I bought Eu 2.1 to write and sell a few business apps for Windows. They're still in use, last time I checked.

10. Re: Curious

I think the following qualifies.. :)

a) I wrote a app to add missing functionality to a multi-million deal, without which my company's tender would not have made the shortlist - we won the tender.

b) A small app to generate mainframe JCL to do multifile/multivol tape copies via a windoze GUI. Sold to one customer for $3000, another customer ripped it off for free. Lesson learnt - don't trust customers, protect your work!

c) A bigger app - 358k of Euphoria source, to generate detailed billing spreadsheets for customers who have a large software deployment which is also complex.
How much is that worth? Difficult to say, but doing it manually used to take 3 days of working 12 hours daily and then the customer often said, 'No its wrong, do it again' because they didn't like the bottom line (bill).
Now the customers have (protected) copies of the app, they run it themselves and so do we, everyone happy. Competitors don't have my app, and the customers are still with us - any leverage you have, you should use!

IMHO My coding is not pretty, but it works and works well. I'd say that I was fortunate to be there when the opportunity came, I said I can fix this, and was able to satisfy the requirements. So the $$ is about seeing opportunity rather than about which language; that said, Euphoria is quick to write and debug - essential IMHO.

Regards, Alan

11. Re: Curious

mattlewis said...

I have used euphoria many times as part of my normal job over the years. I'm sure that the hours involved added up to more than $1000 in salary.

Same here. Nothing I can truly quantify, but at times I have been able to shave hours or even days off of a task by whipping up something quickly in Euphoria.

-Greg

12. Re: Curious

This thread should be permanently visible.

These are a lot more compelling reasons to use EU than the usual "it's fast", etc!

It's hard to dismiss something as "a toy" when people are making buck$ with it, I think.

13. Re: Curious

Though I didn't earn the money myself, my mate, using my
Megapod-algorhythm built a million-dollar company on it
because it gave him the option of RapidDevelopment,
like Euphoria did for me when writing my first try at big-number-crunching back in the early 2000's.
It is still in the Archives and only consists of
addition, subtraction, multiplication and division as well as powers
as I did not know how to handle roots and was too lazy to study it.
It is there as rups.zip (caterpillar=rups in my native language and the algorhythm crept like a caterpillar over the huge numbers)
It even earned me some 5 dollars if I am correct. smile
kind regards,

Antoine

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu