1. Interpreter crashes while crashing

I have had this problem for a long time: sometimes euphoria crashes while attempting to generate an error report. The console window appears for a split second and disappears. This only happens during a run time error, when I am in the middle of testing new code, usually related to accessing sequences.

If i run the program using eui instead of euiw to keep the console open, it shows an incomplete error message, for example:

---------------------- TASK ID 3 guitask --------------------------------- 
D:\redy\apps\RedyDemos\..\..\redylib_0.2\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e:485 in procedure in 
sert_txt() 

D:\redy\apps\RedyDemos> 

I should mention the program has multiple tasks running, and has a call-back function for handling win32 events. Is this a known bug? Does anyone else have this problem?

I am using Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development, 32-bit Windows, Using System Memory, Revision Date: 2014-01-16 02:53:44, Id: 5783:d41527402a7a

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Interpreter crashes while crashing

Hello? Does anyone else have this problem?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Interpreter crashes while crashing

Ok, here's some more information:

Error report, trying to fix a bug in Redy, running under 4.1 (beta):

F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev>eui basic_window.exw

---------------------- TASK ID 5 start ----------------------------------- 
F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textb 
ox.e:173 in function rawtext() 

and if i run it with euiw.exe, i can't see the error message because it crashes and the console disappears.

Error report, trying to fix a bug in Redy, running under 4.0.5:

F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev>eui basic_window.exw 

---------------------- TASK ID 5 start ----------------------------------- 
F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textb 
ox.e:173 in function rawtext() 
slice ends past end of sequence (473 > 466) 

... called from F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev 
\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e:548 in function get_line_width() 

... called from F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev 
\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e:762 in procedure update_content_size() 

\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e:1027 in procedure wc_create() 

\gui\widgets.e:214 in procedure wc_call_create() 

\gui\widgets.e:676 in function widget_create() 

\gui\widgets.e:1135 in procedure wcreate() 

... called from F:\Programming\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\basic_window.exw:43 i 
n procedure start() 

--> See ex.err 

and i can see an error message console if i run it with euiw.exe. Come on dev team, get this fixed and get 4.1 final release finished! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

4. Re: Interpreter crashes while crashing

Hi Ryan

Probably can't solve your problem, but I have had similar things happen to me. I pinned it down to calling incompatible libraries and assuming they were producing memory corruption errors, so either the interpreter or Linux was just kicking the program out straight away. No error message, no ex.err, nothing, Either fixed by changing the library, or just doing things an alternative way.

I'm making a jump here, as I don't know, or would even begin to imagine, how Redy works, but it looks like you are using multiple tasks, and an error is being produced from one of the tasks - is this consisten. in the first line of the error, the slice is going past the end of the sequence - shouldn't you be checking for this? Is an ex.err being produced - is it the same as the console? If you are getting a complete ex.err, then the interpreter isn't crashing, its the console that's too quick to read - are multiple consoles opened with additional tasks? At some level, are you calling machine level routines which are writing to 'wrong' memory areas?

Just some thoughts, I know, which may be completely inconsequential.

Cheers

Chris

5. Re: Interpreter crashes while crashing

• update interpreter (build/get recent version)
  • see if you can set your own crash routine
  • turn on trace to file & isolate where it crashes
  • remove all code that works to further isolate the problem
  • will it also crash in eu4.0? (if not too difficult to try)
  • see if the program runs compiled.

would help to have a simplified test case that will demonstrate the problem. I agree with ChrisB about the machine code, all bets are off once you call wrapped functions. might want to double check any win32 API calls in the vicin9ty of the crash.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu