1. All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

As per tom_'s recommendation, I've started this new thread to find out if any of you are interested in OpenEuphoria being available as an RPM. If you've already built an RPM for OE, please let us know.

Would anyone appreciate an RPM for EO being built and maintained?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

p.s.

I cannot answer about RPM because I use DEB.

But many times I was wondering if adding Euphoria to the official Linux repositories, Ubuntu for example, could help for reaching new users.

Since Euphoria is an interpreted language, it can find its place in Linux naturally. Many new users may find Euphoria in the repository, try it and get excited by it.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

I agree it would be a great thing to be in the Debian repo. At the next Linux Fest Northwest I'll see what I can do about getting a Debian developer to sign my GPG key.

4. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

I agree that Euphoria should be maintained as an RPM and/or a DEB file. If it could be added to Debian or Ubuntu repositories, that would be even better!

I know one user was consistently asking someone to make a Euphoria + wxEuphoria install package but I don't think it ever got done.

Someone did make a Euphoria DEB package at one point, but it was never included in any official repositories.

Edit: The problem with this isn't that it's a bad idea, of course, but rather finding someone willing and able to create and maintain it.

5. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

jaygade said...

Edit: The problem with this isn't that it's a bad idea, of course, but rather finding someone willing and able to create and maintain it.

I'll invest the time to create packages and maintain them, but it will take some time to become a Debian package maintainer and/or a Fedora package maintainer.

6. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

system_X said...

it will take some time to become a Debian package maintainer and/or a Fedora package maintainer.

If you are willing and able to invest the time to become one, it would be greatly appreciated!

7. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

system_X said...
jaygade said...

I'll invest the time to create packages and maintain them, but it will take some time to become a Debian package maintainer and/or a Fedora package maintainer.

I would appreciate any Linux package support - my first choice would be Ubuntu, then Debian. I suppose they might be compatible, but I am not sure. So many distributions, so little time. "You can't please everyone - so you got to please yourself" - Ricky Nelson.

8. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

[/quote]

I would appreciate any Linux package support - my first choice would be Ubuntu, then Debian. I suppose they might be compatible, but I am not sure. So many distributions, so little time. "You can't please everyone - so you got to please yourself" - Ricky Nelson.

[/quote]

Debian and Ubuntu packages are similar. I'll probably start off building for Debian considering it shouldn't be a problem for it to work on Ubuntu and if there is an issue, it will easily be fixed.

9. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

I use Fedora 20 as my workstation, CentOS 6x on a server and many different RPM and Deb based virtual machines. What distributions do all of you use? What would be your first choice for support?

10. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

Here is one more vote for a Deb and/or Ubuntu possibility. Deb would work fine with later Ubuntu as well because you can use .deb packages with some package-managers (eg Synaptic)

11. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

One more voice in favour of a deb package (Linux Mint user here!). If someone can make it happen, that would be truly appreciated.

12. Re: All in favor of an RPM for OpenEuphoria being maintained?

The first goal, in my opinion, is to expose Euphoria to as many as possible Linux users. Therefore, Deb and Ubuntu is the right choice to start with.

As far as I know, LinuxMint is the most popular and/or friendly Linux distribution, and it uses Deb and Ubuntu official repositories.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu