1. Not Impressed with wxEditor / wxEUD.e

I have just downloaded and tried wxEditor. I followed the Readme instructions included. Itf I run it from a directory that I don't have write access to it dies before even creating the GUI and then Euphoria itself dies with the error message being that it cannot create ex.err.

When I run it from a directory I do have access to, the Window pops up and the first thing I try to do is press the new file icon. After moving the mouse over to the middle of the page, the editor dies. Now, if you can accidentally crash a program in less than ten seconds, I cannot write anything substantial with it.

The error produced was

/home/shawn/development/include/wxeu/wxeud.e:8169 in function mouse_event_position()  
argument out of range.  

... called from /usr/local/wxEditor_src-0.2.1/wxSyntax.ew:981 in procedure wxSyntax_onMouse()   

... called from /home/shawn/development/include/wxeu/wxeud.e:6077 in function callProc()   

^^^ call-back from external source 

... called from /home/shawn/development/include/wxeu/wxeud.e:8038 in procedure wxMain()   

... called from /usr/local/wxEditor_src-0.2.1/wxEditor.exw:33  

--> See ex.err  

The code at line 8,169 is

--Returns the coordinates of the mouse at the time of the event. 
public function mouse_event_position( atom event )  
    return c_func( WX_MOUSE_EVENT_POSITION, {event} ) 
end function 

It seems to me that the C function WX_MOUSE_EVENT_POSITION is getting bad data.

Shawn

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Not Impressed with wxEditor / wxEUD.e

It's not great and I'm not surprised you're not impressed. wxEditor started as of a proof-of-concept around writing my own editor and from-scratch edit control. It's incomplete. It crashes. It needs help. wxWidgets officially adopted Scintilla as wxStyledTextCtrl in version 2.9, which we need to get wrapped into wxEuphoria. Doing so would allow wxEditor to be complete and stable. I also think I could use the wxWidgets Document/View framework, but again, that needs wrapping in wxEuphoria.

wxEuphoria (wxeud.e) as a whole needs some updating. Neither Matt nor myself have had much time to provide it the attention it needs. Anyone with a little bit of C++ experience is welcome to contribute. We mainly need to get more functions and classes wrapped. The library itself can already compile against the latest stable (version 3.0.x) so that step is done. I am sure there's a few bugs that need to be fixed in there as well.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu