1. New System, New Editor?

OK, just bought two new PCs for my company, one of which will become my new development PC.

Setting up my Euphoria development environment, and thought I'd check: I've been using Crimson and Geany for editing. Anything better out there now days?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: New System, New Editor?

I like Vim, but I realize that it's not for everyone.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: New System, New Editor?

Hi,
everyone has thier favourite editor and have reasons for that. Normally based on needs, which differ from person to person. For myself, I can reccomend ultraedit but it is a commercial product. The ultracompare feature/product has saved me many hours of work.

Regards,
Alan

4. Re: New System, New Editor?

I have been using PSPad for several years. It isn't perfect, but it's free and mostly does what i need, and i really like the Hex mode, multi-file search and replace, file difference comparison, ASCII code table, and color code generator built into it. Also, syntax highlighting can be edited (I updated mine to handle the Eu 4.x keywords).

5. Re: New System, New Editor?

I used to use SciTE until about a year or two ago when I shifted over the Notepad++ (it does a nice job highlighting structures when editing XML and XML-related code.) At the same time I've also been using NetBeans just this week for its PHP editing support. I mess with others from time to time: Visual Studio, Eclipse, JEdit and Geany are some of the many I've fiddled with (or worked with in the case of VS2010, doing C#), trying to find something that works well for all the languages I use (Euphoria being but one of many.)

At home, I've got Lubuntu 'Trusty Tahr' running on an old Toshiba laptop. I still haven't figured out which editor works best for me there. On the commandline I've been using Joe.

For file comparisons (on Windows) I've been using WinMerge

Bugmagnet

6. Re: New System, New Editor?

bugmagnet said...

...I shifted over to Notepad++

Thanks, bug! How do I get NPP to actually run the code I have open?

7. Re: New System, New Editor?

euphoric said...

Thanks, bug! How do I get NPP to actually run the code I have open?

Here are the basic steps to adding a new command in Notepad++.

1. Click Run > Run... (or press F5).

2. Enter the following in The Program to Run field...

"C:\Euphoria\bin\euiw.exe" "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"

3. Click Save...

4. Enter "Run with Euphoria" into the Name field.

5. Select an optional shortcut key (e.g. Ctrl+F5) and click OK.

That being said, I noticed long ago that this does not have "Start in" option, which is useful for getting your ex.err file in the proper directory when something crashes. I have resorted to building my own "start" utility that allows me to change directory to the current path, and then launch the Euphoria interpreter with the current file (code follows). I typically bind this so I don't have to launch the interpreter to launch another interpreter. Update the command in step 2 above to use startw instead:

"C:\Euphoria\bin\startw.exe" -d "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)" "C:\Euphoria\bin\euiw.exe" "$(FILE_NAME)"

I also switch the shortcut keys around so Run with Euphoria is F5 and the generic Run... dialog is Ctrl+F5.

Get it here: startw.exw

-Greg

8. Re: New System, New Editor?

I actually just implemented your "startw.exe" process, and it works great! heh.

Thanks, greg!

9. Re: New System, New Editor?

For editing/test running Euphoria code, I find WEE very productive. Heck, it finds your typoos without even having to run your program !

10. Re: New System, New Editor?

irv said...

For editing/test running Euphoria code, I find WEE very productive. Heck, it finds your typoos without even having to run your program !

I was using WEE for a while until it started failing to run at times. Don't know why, and don't have time to diagnose. Gotta use something that works consistently. Very busy these days! Notepad++ just works for me right now. Later, when I have time to investigate, I'll move back to a Euphoria-based solution. Maybe.

11. Re: New System, New Editor?

euphoric said...

I was using WEE for a while until it started failing to run at times. Don't know why, and don't have time to diagnose. Gotta use something that works consistently. Very busy these days! Notepad++ just works for me right now. Later, when I have time to investigate, I'll move back to a Euphoria-based solution. Maybe.

I have an editor that existed some 15 years ago, made by a member Euphoria. This editor is not more available for download on Euphoria site. I made hundreds of changes and too many inclusions. Today after many years of modifications, this editor is a true Frankenstein with pieces of many publishers and works very well.

Try to use it. It works on 3.1 or 4.1. Perhaps the unique requirements is to have EUINK, EUDIR, the C:\euphoria\bin directory in your path and the most important is to have the font "Curier New" installed, so that the selector text, copy, cut and paste works well.

I use this editor in all versions of Windows and also on Linux with Wine emulator. There are some error but do not bother much. One of these errors is the one who tried to solve the I Forum asking some folders with names with spaces. This failure only occurs when the editor uses the compiler or interpreter embedded in Euphoria. To resolve this failure, I put the editor in a folder with short name.

Would you like to try to use this editor?

If so, how can I send the editor for you?

12. Re: New System, New Editor?

sergelli said...

Would you like to try to use this editor?

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to keep using Notepad++ for now.

13. Re: New System, New Editor?

euphoric said...
irv said...

I normally have 10 or more files open with WEE, 8 hrs. a day, and haven't experienced a crash, lost edit, or failure to start in months. Perhaps this problem is platform related. Knowing which platform(s) it fails on would help narrow down the problem.

14. Re: New System, New Editor?

Wow Irv,
does your paying job know about the 8 hours a day on WEE ;)

15. Re: New System, New Editor?

irv said...

I normally have 10 or more files open with WEE, 8 hrs. a day, and haven't experienced a crash, lost edit, or failure to start in months. Perhaps this problem is platform related. Knowing which platform(s) it fails on would help narrow down the problem.

It probably is platform related! Windows 10.

Sometimes, when I double-click on a file for which WEE is the associated editor, WEE crashes with a console error message. Don't recall what it is off-hand. And I no longer have any files associated with WEE.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu