1. Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

Forked from Re: Euphoria isn't dying - just needs a jolly good kick!

tbohon said...

I tend to agree with everything ChrisB says. The language itself is more than usable ... we need 'marketing' and, as my ex-wife would say, 'branding'. Example of the latter: every time someone sees a certain phrase or logo they immediately think of OpenEuphoria. Think of a trademark situation.

The OpenEuphoria home page is OK and if you're already familiar with what OE is it's adequate. BUT ... if you're new (just found it by using Google, e.g.) then it can be pretty confusing. Maybe ChrisB's ideas of 'spicing it up' would be a good first step? My time is pretty limited but I'd be willing to help with ideas, mockups based on those ideas, etc. I WOULD suggest that a group get together 'off-line' from the forum and focus on that without everybody and his brother 'helping' at every stage ... once we have what the group thinks is a workable page and or marketing plan we can then open it up to comments.

Just my 2c worth here of course ... and as always this is worth exactly what you paid for it :) :) :)

Tom

I forked this topic so it wouldn't look like a hidden topic.

I just created an email account: openeuphony@gmail.com

I choose "euphony" instead of Euphoria because this is for "offline" discussions.

A forum is part of this email address. The process seems to be that you email openeuphony and then I add you to the Open Euphony forum. From there we can start an "offline" discussion.

Since this is not an official forum no-one will have to make excuses that they are too busy to contribute...instead every little bit will help.

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

We have some activity!

It looks like if you visit

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/open-euphony

google will start an "apply for membership" dialog

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

How do you consider Google as being "off Line" ? I don't think users care to have Google tracking them.

There have been other individual users that have set up other sites over the years
but they have disappeared over time.

4. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

BRyan said...

How do you consider Google as being "off Line" ?

Well, off-line from this forum. (IOW, away from this forum).

BRyan said...

There have been other individual users that have set up other sites over the years

I don't see this as a reason to discourage new attempts, though.

5. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

BRyan said...

How do you consider Google as being "off Line" ?

It's not Google that's off-line but a separate forum being totally independent from this forum.

BRyan said...

I don't think users care to have Google tracking them.

I don't care if Google Inc. tracks my posts or online activity. They're only trying to make money from doing so and it won't be mine they get from doing that smile

BRyan said...

How many early "aircraft" failed? Still worth the effort.

6. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

BRyan said...

How do you consider Google as being "off Line" ? I don't think users care to have Google tracking them.

An "offline" forum was suggested so I created one. The whole point of "open" Euphoria is to follow up on suggestions and be helpful.

I discovered that there are various providers of free forum hosting. It is also clear that they provide advertising and who knows what else. I am assuming that Google is not going to be downloading a virus when you visit a forum they are hosting. I am also sure that Google is watching you on the official OpenEuphoria forum--since they are everywhere.

I don't expect open-euphony to be long lived or very active. Euphony means "any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds."

_tom

7. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

I don't see how taking discussions 'offline' benefits Eu or the users - it would only make this forum appear less active than ever. During the summer there were often only one or two posts per WEEK. Lose those and there would be no signs of life at all.

8. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

_tom said...

Forked from Re: Euphoria isn't dying - just needs a jolly good kick!

tbohon said...

I tend to agree with everything ChrisB says. The language itself is more than usable ... we need 'marketing' and, as my ex-wife would say, 'branding'. Example of the latter: every time someone sees a certain phrase or logo they immediately think of OpenEuphoria. Think of a trademark situation.

The OpenEuphoria home page is OK and if you're already familiar with what OE is it's adequate. BUT ... if you're new (just found it by using Google, e.g.) then it can be pretty confusing. Maybe ChrisB's ideas of 'spicing it up' would be a good first step? My time is pretty limited but I'd be willing to help with ideas, mockups based on those ideas, etc. I WOULD suggest that a group get together 'off-line' from the forum and focus on that without everybody and his brother 'helping' at every stage ... once we have what the group thinks is a workable page and or marketing plan we can then open it up to comments.

Just my 2c worth here of course ... and as always this is worth exactly what you paid for it :) :) :)

Tom

I forked this topic so it wouldn't look like a hidden topic.

I just created an email account: openeuphony@gmail.com

I choose "euphony" instead of Euphoria because this is for "offline" discussions.

A forum is part of this email address. The process seems to be that you email openeuphony and then I add you to the Open Euphony forum. From there we can start an "offline" discussion.

Since this is not an official forum no-one will have to make excuses that they are too busy to contribute...instead every little bit will help.

_tom

Could you please explain how the gmail-based discussion list is supposed to work, practically?

Thanks

9. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

Hi

Yes. It works exactly the same as this forum (lists of subjects), but is in a separate place so that there is no 'dilution'. I have cross posted some requests, as the developers here have the answers I needed, but Euphony isn't about Euphoria development, its about Euphoria promotion.

Chris

10. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

tbohon said...

I WOULD suggest that a group get together 'off-line' from the forum and focus on that without everybody and his brother 'helping' at every stage ...

Rather than make a list of reasons why this will not work...I created the 'off-line' forum. It was trivial to setup; I just clicked the defaults.

Yes:

• I will regret the extra time it takes to run.
  • This will likely be a short-lived forum.

The immediate benefit is real:

• There is just enough interest to make it worthwhile.
  • There are two ongoing topics. They are not directly Euphoria language related but have to do with housekeeping.
    • updating the look of the official o[ webpage
    • grunt work related to packaging the next release

Sorry, I was slow in approving two new members. Still getting used to making open-euphony work.

_tom

11. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

Is this forum still active? I just finally got around to joining..

12. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

jimcbrown said...

Is this forum still active? I just finally got around to joining..

I have forgotten to look... so not active.

( It was created in response to some remark in an old posting. Unfortunately the person I was targeting did not join.)

_tom

13. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

_tom said...

( It was created in response to some remark in an old posting. Unfortunately the person I was targeting did not join.)

Doesn't "offline" mean it's unofficial, no one will read it, and it doesn't matter? Who did you want to shunt away from talking in the forum that matters?

14. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

katsmeow said...
_tom said...

Doesn't "offline" mean it's unofficial, no one will read it, and it doesn't matter? Who did you want to shunt away from talking in the forum that matters?

Hello Kat, nice to hear from you.

It was a "proof of concept" to show that, with a small community, all discussions have to be on this forum.

No forum member gets shunted away from this Forum.

The ideas in Open Euphony should be revived, but on this Forum. It just shows that things that move slowly can get even more sluggish.

_tom

15. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

_tom said...
katsmeow said...
_tom said...

Thank you for the sentiment, but i must tell you that regarding OEu, nothing has changed in the years i have been away from here (except for Matt and Derek leaving, and Jeremy left before i did). Ergo, i feel the same, and i wish i didn't.

_tom said...

It was a "proof of concept" to show that, with a small community, all discussions have to be on this forum.

I agree. Despite, i just "signed up for" on google, got the confirmation email, followed instructions, and nothing happened. If participating requires a google account, it won't happen for me.

_tom said...

There is a post, which i made yesterday, still held in moderation that refutes a post regarding participating.

_tom said...

The ideas in Open Euphony should be revived, but on this Forum. It just shows that things that move slowly can get even more sluggish.

I agree, but no one has actually improved OEu code base in years, it's stalled dead. I have one remaining feature request for OEu, and other people have said they want it also, but it will never happen. I'll bet 1) there's no more official OEu releases (there's no new code and no recogniseable officials), and 2) there will never be an official irc include for OEu, even tho there's been calls for it and i have posted a lot of working and proven irc code. I say this only to show OEu has been so sluggish for the last 4 years that nothing has changed! (Except that more valued people have disappeared, and i disregard the last "official" release because of bugs in it.)

16. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

katsmeow said...
_tom said...

I assumed it was tbohon (the other Tom), based on the fact that this thread was forked from his post.

17. Re: Open Euphony -- for "offline" Euphoria discussions

katsmeow said...
_tom said...
katsmeow said...
_tom said...

Thank you for the sentiment, but i must tell you that regarding OEu, nothing has changed in the years i have been away from here (except for Matt and Derek leaving, and Jeremy left before i did). Ergo, i feel the same, and i wish i didn't.

Agreed.

katsmeow said...
_tom said...

I agree. Despite, i just "signed up for" on google, got the confirmation email, followed instructions, and nothing happened. If participating requires a google account, it won't happen for me.

Sorry to hear that. I tried the same and didn't even get a confirmation email, so at least you are in good company.

katsmeow said...
_tom said...

There is a post, which i made yesterday, still held in moderation that refutes a post regarding participating.

In my reply to that post, I explain how it fails to actually refute anything regarding participation. Thus, I don't see a need to reproduce those statements here.

katsmeow said...
_tom said...

I agree, but no one has actually improved OEu code base in years,

I disagree, as Shawn is actively maintaining it.

katsmeow said...

it's stalled dead.

Agreed. Shawn has recently stated that he's not interested in doing a release ( http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/129481.wc ) and in any case is not allowed to perform a Windoze release alone. ( https://sourceforge.net/p/rapideuphoria/mailman/message/29989816/ )

Aside from Shawn, only two other people have ever done a complete release, and both of those (Jeremy and Matt) have left. (Though Ira / Jerome did produce a beta, but Ira is no longer active either, having last been seen Jan 19, 2016.)

katsmeow said...

I have one remaining feature request for OEu, and other people have said they want it also, but it will never happen.

I can't remember what that is. But unless Shawn is interested in implementing it, you're probably right, it's not likely to happen.

katsmeow said...

I'll bet 1) there's no more official OEu releases (there's no new code

I'd argue that this has already come to pass.

katsmeow said...

and no recogniseable officials),

euphoric, ghaberek, ChrisB, and myself are still around. And, of course, _tom.

katsmeow said...

and 2) there will never be an official irc include for OEu, even tho there's been calls for it and i have posted a lot of working and proven irc code.

My plan regarding this was to wait for ryanj's FluidAE and then "borrow" his irc code.

But, that looks even less likely now as IRC is an "obsolete" protocol.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/06/irc-has-lost-60-of-its-users-since-2003-but-life-as-a-robot-is-just-beginning/

Wordpress dropped it:

said...

The WordPress project uses Slack as its main real-time communication platform, replacing all previous communication platforms such as IRC and Skype. When compiling a list of things people liked about our previous communication methods, it was obvious that Slack was all of that and more [...]

https://make.wordpress.org/chat/

Even on the mIRC forum, people are wondering if IRC is dying out: http://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/220679/Is_IRC_dying??

(Of course, not everyone there agrees. And IRC as a whole certainly looks more alive than OE. Alas...)

katsmeow said...

I say this only to show OEu has been so sluggish for the last 4 years that nothing has changed!

Agreed. In full. The blame for this lies entirely on me, for introducing a code freeze in a vain attempt to get the next release out.

katsmeow said...

(Except that more valued people have disappeared, and i disregard the last "official" release because of bugs in it.)

Agreed. This is also my fault, since - rather than do the leg work of putting the release out - many valuable coders who wanted to implement new features probably went off to work on other projects (that had no code freezes) instead. This lead to a net loss for OE overall.

The good news is, with all the hard work petelomax has put into it, Phix is looking more alive and more interesting than ever.

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/129591.wc#129591

Since Phix is written 100% in Phix, in principle it should even be easy to add a trivial eval() statement to it.

So there may be a light at the end of the tunnel - dropping the RDS-derived OE in favor of making Phix the official language.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu