1. A Linux Question

Hi folks,

I was thinking of trying out Euphoria on my Nexus. Never done that before. Would I be correct in thinking that there is no equivalent in the Linux-Euphoria world of win32Lib and that any programs I wrote would be limited to the "DOS"-type?

Many thanks

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: A Linux Question

Hi

No, not true

See EUGTK, IUP, and wxEuphoria.

I think the biggest problem you'll have is the ARM processor compatability (if I recall correctly)

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: A Linux Question

ChrisB said...
cran0g said...

Hi folks,

I was thinking of trying out Euphoria on my Nexus. Never done that before. Would I be correct in thinking that there is no equivalent in the Linux-Euphoria world of win32Lib and that any programs I wrote would be limited to the "DOS"-type?

Many thanks

Hi

No, not true

I think the biggest problem you'll have is the ARM processor compatability (if I recall correctly)

Chris

Um... yes and no. If we're talking about a Google Nexus phone or tablet, then as it stands, "yes" it is limited to command-line only until someone gets the Android NDK wrapped or integrated into an "Android edition" Euphoria. Cross-platform GUI libraries typically don't support mobile operating systems, but at least wxWidgets is trying. If you install a non-mobile OS, such as Ubuntu then "no" you probably can get something like EuGTK or wxEuphoria working but I don't think it's been attempted at all yet. wxEuphoria would have to be compiled for ARM and I don't think its prepared for that yet.

-Greg

4. Re: A Linux Question

ghaberek said...
ChrisB said...
cran0g said...

Hi folks,

Many thanks

Hi

No, not true

Chris

Um... yes and no.

If you install a non-mobile OS, such as Ubuntu then "no" you probably can get something like EuGTK or wxEuphoria working but I don't think it's been attempted at all yet. wxEuphoria would have to be compiled for ARM and I don't think its prepared for that yet.

EuGTK has a smaller C library component (actually, I think the latest versions might be 100% Eu), and (as long as you're going from 32bit -> 32bit) should just work on ARM. Same is true of IUP. OTOH I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried this.

Work in getting wxEuphoria to run on ARM has been done in the past as well, though I'm not sure if it was ever finished: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/115717.wc

ghaberek said...

If we're talking about a Google Nexus phone or tablet, then as it stands, "yes" it is limited to command-line only until someone gets the Android NDK wrapped or integrated into an "Android edition" Euphoria. Cross-platform GUI libraries typically don't support mobile operating systems, but at least wxWidgets is trying.

-Greg

If wxWidgets succeeds, then I wonder if wxEuphoria would just work...

Technically, it's already possible to run Euphoria and a GUI on your Android phone today, but at a significant cost - you'd have to root it and install a linux/GNU chroot, then run Euphoria as a linux/GNU binary rather than as a native Android app. Perhaps success on the wxWidgets front would make this a lot easier, however...

5. Re: A Linux Question

Lots to think about, then. I'm no super-techie when it comes to different OS. I'm a C and ADA programmer of old. I've heard so many horror stories about rooting the Nexus that I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I'd love to hear from someone when they can put together a simple way we can get Euphoria to work on Android devices. Same goes for the iPad and similar.

Thanks for the comments, folks. Really interesting.

Cran0g
Forked into: ADA to EUPHORIA

6. Re: A Linux Question

cran0g said...

I've heard so many horror stories about rooting the Nexus that I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

If you want to have fun with Android on an easy-to-hack device, pick up an HP TouchPad. They have pretty modest specs by today's standards, but they are easy get into developer mode (i.e. "rooted"), and run Android 4.0+ quite well. I am running CyanogenMod 10.2 (Android 4.3 "Jelly Bean") on mine. I haven't really tried to get Euphoria working on it yet, but I don't really use it for any development right now.

-Greg

7. Re: A Linux Question

EuGTK has no C code, it's 100% Euphoria, and the latest versions of GTK (3.12 - 3.14) have support for "gestures", such as pan, swipe, rotate, zoom...

I have tried to keep EuGTK up to date with 3.14, but I don't have a way to actually test those features.

So, at least in theory, if someone can get a tablet with GTK 3.12+, it should work.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu