1. Euphoria community articles?

I was thinking, what if we had some sort of regular news articles (say, once or twice a month) that cover a variety of topics: new euphoria projects, updates on popular libraries, periodic summaries of what the dev team has been working on, tutorials or explanations of useful features or techniques, success stories, trends, analysis of issues that need to be addressed, etc. I think this should be a separate section on the website ("Articles") so they can be archived. Articles could be written like magazine articles and even have images sometimes (screenshots, diagrams, etc.) The News section on the home page could be updated every time an article is released, with a link to the article. Articles could be permanent, so they can be linked to from the wiki or forum without worrying about links being broken later on. Images should also have a way to be stored on the server so they can be permanently associated with articles.

I feel that this is an important step in improving community cooperation and growth, as well as marketing Euphoria and showing that it has real solutions, applications, and ongoing development that is relevant to people that are interested in computer programming.

Writing articles would require "interviewing" people (by email or IRC) or by reading and studying forum posts as well as the development mailing list. I would be willing to write articles, if someone will add that ability to the website and give me access to editing articles and uploading images. What do you think?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria community articles?

It's certainly a good idea, but from what I understand, no one would be much interested in working on it. Practically speaking, the Euphoria community is very lazy... The same goes for the wikis.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria community articles?

I agree its a good idea. Though it may take a little while before it takes off. I wouldn't mind helping out writing some articles here and there.

4. Re: Euphoria community articles?

Perhaps we should have an "articles I'd read" page where people can drop in suggestions.

It would probably need someone to moderate it and apply some brutality in the form of a regular cleanup/purge.

5. Re: Euphoria community articles?

I'd like to see an editorial board (or proven sole editor) who can edit/approve articles. We can't have illiterates throwing up articles with horrible grammar and spelling. Most people here don't know "it's" from "its," and it would be embarrassing to have that on our front page.

6. Re: Euphoria community articles?

euphoric said...

I'd like to see an editorial board (or proven sole editor) who can edit/approve articles. We can't have [people putting] up articles with horrible grammar and spelling.

I imagine the process would go something like this ...

• Article is created as a wiki page.
  • The community edits and adjusts its contents as required and appropriate.
  • When 'settled', a link to the page could go on as a news item.
  • Continuous improvements to the article (wiki page) are made.

The 'settled' stage could be decided by the administrators in a fairly informal manner, I suspect.

7. Re: Euphoria community articles?

DerekParnell said...
euphoric said...

I'd like to see an editorial board (or proven sole editor) who can edit/approve articles. We can't have [people putting] up articles with horrible grammar and spelling.

I imagine the process would go something like this ...

• Article is created as a wiki page.
  • The community edits and adjusts its contents as required and appropriate.
  • When 'settled', a link to the page could go on as a news item.
  • Continuous improvements to the article (wiki page) are made.

The 'settled' stage could be decided by the administrators in a fairly informal manner, I suspect.

Ok, I think I have an idea that could help with that and the Wiki Improvement Project at the same time. Give me a few days to put together a proposal.

8. Re: Euphoria community articles?

A significant step forward would be hosting a Euphoria cookbook on our own website (as I mentioned in another thread). This would be nicely integrated with the wikis and the articles.

9. Re: Euphoria community articles?

I have been too busy to work on Euphoria stuff lately. But, this fall/winter/spring, i will be switching back to "Euphoria-programming mode" to work on an application for my day job. So, when i get back into the Euphoria programming mindset, i plan to redo the Wiki pages and launch two significant Euphoria-related projects that i hope will help the Euphoria community. More information coming soon... (hint: what is currently known as FluidAE will have some major improvements and at least 1 real-world application based on it...that is all i'm saying for now. Muahaha)

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu