1. Regarding Euphoria Editors...

Hello All,

"ed.ex>edx.ex>mdx.ex": Over a week ago, I posted,"mdx.ex", ( the editor formerly known as "edx.ex" ) my latest modified version of "ed.ex" to http://rapideuphoria.com/index.html. I had to a bit of editing to the Euphoria 4.1 versions of syncolor.e and tokenizer.e in order to support features that I have been using in the editor for several years.

I suspect that the developers consider "supporting" ed.ex more trouble than it is worth. I really don't think more than a handful of programmers are using it, or even a modified version of it. So, I am not complaining about the proposed intent to move "ed.ex" to /euphoria/demo/edx.ex.

Please post a brief reply, if you are using ed.ex in any form.

I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, so I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, "Vim": Shian Lee's support files make "Vim" look very promising. One day, I may devote myself to the learning curve.

"Geany": I really like Geany. I have a fantasy that the developers will write C-code Geany support files so that Geany will support I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, so I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, Euphoria natively, like all the other "real" programming languages. In the mean time Irv Mullins "gneui.ex" and my EuGeany files work well enough, under Linux at least. The problem is that Geany under windows requires installation of GTK and has unspecified "reduced features".

"wxEuphoria/IDE/EDB": Once upon a time, I was able to run wxEuphoria, and wxIDE/EDB, under Linux. But, for the last couple of years I have not been able to install wxEuphoria on Ubuntu (I am now using Ubuntu 2.13). I suspect that the "gtk+-2.0" requisite is the problem. I have installed libgtk2.0-dev - still no joy. I suspect that Matt has installed WxEuphoria under Debian - but is any one else using wxEuphoria on Windows, or any other Linux Distribution other than Debian? If so, please post a note to that effect.

I think several of the wx editor's slick features could be implemented in ed.ex/edx.ex -certainly projects and auto-complete of all commands in the current and all other open files, but it will probably take a better programmer than I. Even with expanded features by a first rate euphoria programmer, I don't think a console editor is going to attract very many users.

"The GORILLA in the Living Room": Windows editors. Probably ninety-five out of a hundred euphoria programmers are primarily interested in the Windows platform. I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets or GTK under Windows, so first class Euphoria support for a nice Windows editor might give Euphoria a boost in popularity. What do you think?

Regards, Ken Rhodes

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

I think Edita is a nice Windows editor!

Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

I am still sorry about stealing the name "edx.ex" from Ken Rhodes. _tom

K_D_R said...

"ed.ex>edx.ex>mdx.ex": Over a week ago, I posted,"mdx.ex", ( the editor formerly known as "edx.ex" ) my latest modified version of "ed.ex" to http://rapideuphoria.com/index.html. I had to a bit of editing to the Euphoria 4.1 versions of syncolor.e and tokenizer.e in order to support features that I have been using in the editor for several years.

Thank you for sharing your changes to "ed.ex"

I had this problem in running mdx.ex:

* ! Db help open new quit save write tidy eui dos find replace backup keys More  
/media/oe/500B/Euphoria-Documenting/mdx/mdx-1.0/mdx.ex:1738 in function key_gets 
attempt to move cursor off the screen to line 1, column 81   
K_D_R said...

I suspect that the developers consider "supporting" ed.ex more trouble than it is worth. I really don't think more than a handful of programmers are using it, or even a modified version of it.

It is probably best to view K_D_R as the main support for edx.ex.

K_D_R said...

So, I am not complaining about the proposed intent to move "ed.ex" to /euphoria/demo/edx.ex.

I see edx.ex remaining in /euphoria/bin; if we have an editor it should be available for immediate use.

The problem is in presenting edx.ex as an "official" Euphoria editor. I have changed the documentation to read:

Introduction
The Euphoria includes a handy, text-mode editor, edx that is written completely in Euphoria.
While edx is intended as a demonstration program, many people find edx convenient for editing and examining small programs.

K_D_R said...

Please post a brief reply, if you are using ed.ex in any form.

I still sometimes use edx.ex to test simple example programs. I do not use it to edit programs; I use Geany instead.

I used Kate previously, but I don't like sluggish KDE Linux distributions.

K_D_R said...

I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, so I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows,

I tried to get wxWidgets to work but failed under Linux.

If I have to locate dependencies and compile wxWidgets then it will not happen.

K_D_R said...

"Vim": Shian Lee's support files make "Vim" look very promising. One day, I may devote myself to the learning curve.

vi, vim, emacs are all overpowering.

K_D_R said...

"Geany": I really like Geany. I have a fantasy that the developers will write C-code Geany support files so that Geany will support I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, so I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets under Windows, Euphoria natively, like all the other "real" programming languages. In the mean time Irv Mullins "gneui.ex" and my EuGeany files work well enough, under Linux at least.

The problem is that Geany under windows requires installation of GTK and has unspecified "reduced features".

Geany windows is an 8.7MB download. It installs easily. This is probably the closest we can come to a multi-platform editor that supports Euphoria.

K_D_R said...

"wxEuphoria/IDE/EDB": Once upon a time, I was able to run wxEuphoria, and wxIDE/EDB, under Linux. But, for the last couple of years I have not been able to install wxEuphoria on Ubuntu (I am now using Ubuntu 2.13). I suspect that the "gtk+-2.0" requisite is the problem. I have installed libgtk2.0-dev - still no joy. I suspect that Matt has installed WxEuphoria under Debian - but is any one else using wxEuphoria on Windows, or any other Linux Distribution other than Debian? If so, please post a note to that effect.

An easy way to get wxWidgets working under Ubuntu/Mint is needed. When a package is difficult to install then that is the same as "not working."

K_D_R said...

I think several of the wx editor's slick features could be implemented in ed.ex/edx.ex -certainly projects and auto-complete of all commands in the current and all other open files, but it will probably take a better programmer than I. Even with expanded features by a first rate euphoria programmer, I don't think a console editor is going to attract very many users.

Sadly, any emphasis that the official Euphoria editor is a "console editor" will work against attracting users; it is better that there is no official editor.

K_D_R said...

"The GORILLA in the Living Room": Windows editors. Probably ninety-five out of a hundred euphoria programmers are primarily interested in the Windows platform. I don't think that many people are willing to mess with wxWidgets or GTK under Windows, so first class Euphoria support for a nice Windows editor might give Euphoria a boost in popularity. What do you think?

Regards, Ken Rhodes

Windows is hard to use. Windows 8 is making things even less friendly. I am not smart enough to help Windows users. [Optional humour for the day...]

_tom

4. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

petelomax said...

I think Edita is a nice Windows editor!

Pete

Edita is a nice editor, but I can't get it to work any more. I tried running Edita with 4.1 and got a machine error.

F:\edita\builtins\machine.e:135 in function allocate() 
type_check failure, n is 0 

... called from F:\edita\arwen\Quick_Allocations.ew:19 in function prepareBlocks 
() 

... called from F:\edita\arwen\Quick_Allocations.ew:125 

--> See ex.err 

5. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

Vim is amazing.

I don't know anything about Shian Lee's support files though; I use Jeremy's vim files from the source distribution.

Is there a set of vim bindings which I'm not aware of? I'll have to check them out.

6. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

My own code is problematic enough without more "excitement" from an editor ;)
So I use the commercial version of ultraedit which runs on windows and linux.
While not trying to knock the efforts of the editor coders here,
will the end results really compare to commercial quality?
To each his own, as they say - YMMV

7. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

I appreciate all the responses to my post....

_tom said...

I had this problem in running mdx.ex:

* ! Db help open new quit save write tidy eui dos find replace backup keys More  
/media/oe/500B/Euphoria-Documenting/mdx/mdx-1.0/mdx.ex:1738 in function key_gets 
attempt to move cursor off the screen to line 1, column 81   

Sorry bout that - I have a fairly wide monitor and run my linux terminal with a screen width of 110. I'll probably just post a note that mdx.ex should be run in a terminal/console with a width of at least 95-100 columns. I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to display select extra menu items according to available screen width. On the other hand, I could make all those extra functions available from a scrollable top line pick list. So many solutions, so little time. smile

_tom said...

Geany windows is an 8.7MB download. It installs easily. This is probably the closest we can come to a multi-platform editor that supports Euphoria.

Then I strongly urge the developers to ditch ed.ex/edx.ex and devote sometime into providing native support for Geany. Or at least supporting Geany by improving and maintaining Geany support files written in Euphoria like "gneui" and "EuHelp".

I think I'll start another thread about "EuHelp".

Ken Rhodes

8. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

jaygade said...

Vim is amazing.

I don't know anything about Shian Lee's support files though; I use Jeremy's vim files from the source distribution.

Is there a set of vim bindings which I'm not aware of? I'll have to check them out.

Link to Shian Lee's Vim support files: http://rapideuphoria.com/vim-sntx.zip

Regards, Ken Rhodes

9. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

_tom said...

Edita is a nice editor, but I can't get it to work any more. I tried running Edita with 4.1 and got a machine error.

Hmm. I have no idea what is wrong with OE4.1, but Edita ships with tested copies of Phix (p.exe) and RDS Eu 2.4 (exw.exe), either of which should run it just fine. If you open a command prompt in the installation directory and run "p -c edita" or "p -c -norun edita" it should build edita.exe in a matter of seconds, which is another alternative.

I'll give OE4.1 another go here. I suspect it is a builtins\machine.e vs. std\memory.e thing (which will no doubt mean I cannot have a single source that runs on both Eu2.4 and OE4.1), just don't hold your breath.

Pete

10. Re: Regarding Euphoria Editors...

fizzpopsoft said...

My own code is problematic enough without more "excitement" from an editor ;)
So I use the commercial version of ultraedit which runs on windows and linux.
While not trying to knock the efforts of the editor coders here,
will the end results really compare to commercial quality?
To each his own, as they say - YMMV

Yes, I've wondered similar things as I've worked on editors. They all have features that I fear I'll never figure out how to implement. However, none of them are able to focus on Euphoria specifically, since it's just not big enough for them to do so. I'm really pleased with the auto-complete feature of wxide. It's not as good as MS Intellisense or Eclipse, but it's soooo handy, and something that euphoria has never had.

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu