1. Wiki Improvement Project

Alright, i can't take it any more. The wiki is driving me crazy! I volunteer to do a major overhaul of the wiki pages. I am thinking about ways to reorganize and restructure it so that it is more useful. It seems like there is some good content, but it needs to be organized and updated. To the web admins, has the website been backed up recently, and will it be possible to eventually delete old wiki pages once they are determined obsolete?

Before making any major changes, I will start with a proposed home page, and perhaps a few other pages, which i will be editing and perfecting before making any major changes to the current important pages. Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve the wiki?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

ryanj said...

Alright, i can't take it any more. The wiki is driving me crazy! I volunteer to do a major overhaul of the wiki pages. I am thinking about ways to reorganize and restructure it so that it is more useful. It seems like there is some good content, but it needs to be organized and updated.

Agreed. Thanks for doing this.

ryanj said...

To the web admins, has the website been backed up recently, and will it be possible to eventually delete old wiki pages once they are determined obsolete?

It's all stored in a database, and it has nightly backups to Jeremy.

As for deleting, there probably is a way. I assume you just mean to make invisible (or whiteout) the current page, as opposed to erasing a page's history.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

ryanj said...

Before making any major changes, I will start with a proposed home page, and perhaps a few other pages, which i will be editing and perfecting before making any major changes to the current important pages.

If no one else chimes in within, say, half a week or so, then it's probably safe to assume that no one disagrees with your proposed changes and you can go ahead and change the originals.

4. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

Before making any major changes, I will start with a proposed home page, and perhaps a few other pages, which i will be editing and perfecting before making any major changes to the current important pages.

If no one else chimes in within, say, half a week or so, then it's probably safe to assume that no one disagrees with your proposed changes and you can go ahead and change the originals.

Alright. It will probably take me a week or two to go through everything and come up with a plan of what to do.

5. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

ryanj said...

Alright. It will probably take me a week or two to go through everything and come up with a plan of what to do.

I am all for this. I've often considered it but always felt lost on where to start and what, exactly, to improve. Let me know if you need any help.

-Greg

6. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

ghaberek said...
ryanj said...

I am all for this. I've often considered it but always felt lost on where to start and what, exactly, to improve. Let me know if you need any help.

-Greg

Yeah, I spent some time looking at everything today, and it's really hard to wrap my mind around everything just looking at page titles, so it's really hard to see a good way to categorize and list things on the home page. But, I think I'm off to a good start: wiki:ProposedWikiIndex. I'm attempting to create major categories and list the most important pages, and I might rewrite or combine pages so they are more consistent. I might try making a table for each category or something, but first I need to keep going through these links and see what is in each page.

7. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

Have a look at http://wiki.tcl.tk as they have a fairly useful frontend to their Wiki.

8. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

bugmagnet said...

Have a look at http://wiki.tcl.tk as they have a fairly useful frontend to their Wiki.

Looks interesting. I haven't given up on this, I've just been busy working on FluidAE. I will work on the Wiki a little at a time over the next few weeks or months.

9. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

It's been two months since I said I would start reorganizing the wiki...and I've been too busy with work to finish it. I will get to it eventually! It's been difficult trying to wrap my head around all the existing pages and visualizing a good way to break everything down into a structured table of contents. If anyone wants to help me, let me know. I will work on it a little at a time over the next few months. I'm always in the #euphoria chat room on freenode.net if anyone wants to chat about it, or post ideas here.

10. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

One idea i just had was to create a wiki page that lists the names and roles/responsibilities of the developers (who maintains the website, who is an OP in the IRC channel, who is building or testing on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, or ARM, etc. Also, there could be a list of major projects (applications and libraries) and who is developing them.

11. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

Ok, i finally have some time to work on this. What do you think of this ProposedWikiIndex? The idea is to keep the Wiki organized under a few main topics, then list the sub-topics on each topic's page. It is difficult to wrap my mind around all of the wiki pages at once, so some of them may be out of place. I suppose the next step would be to carefully go through each link again and decide what to do with each page (re-categorize, delete, merge with another page, rename, etc.) I think some new pages will need to be written under each of these main topics, which I will start working on. Some of my main ideas for redoing the wiki are to really clarify the difference between documentation about using euphoria vs. information about development of the OpenEuphoria project itself. Also, I would like to do major work on the Projects topic, making a complete list of all known applications, libraries, websites, etc. related to euphoria in a structured way. Some of this information is already scattered across the wiki and other places, so I would like to consolidate that information (as well as weed out outdated or dead projects). I could look at the euarchive to get a list of known projects and start inquiring the developers for more information about them.

What do you think? If the community approves, I can go ahead and make this the new Index.

12. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

ryanj said...

What do you think? If the community approves, I can go ahead and make this the new Index.

I say go for it.

13. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

Me too.

Chris

14. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

I say go for it.

Alright, I updated Home. I will continue to review all of the pages and gradually make improvements. Let me know if anyone has any specific ideas or opinions about anything in the wiki.

15. Re: Wiki Improvement Project

If anyone has written an Application or Library in Euphoria, PLEASE TELL US ABOUT IT! Please add a wiki page about your project! It would be very helpful for the Euphoria community to see what Euphoria is being used for. If you have the sudden urge to write something about Euphoria, go ahead and edit and existing wiki page or create a new one! I will be monitoring Recent Activity regularly to correct any problems that may arise.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu