1. Thread etiquette

Forked from Re: Cereal - some serious thread fu

jaygade said...

So it can't be fixed so that the thread doesn't show posts from 5-14 years ago, even though they're totally unrelated to the thread subject as a whole? How did those old posts get attached to that thread?

It seems like a pretty major glitch in the forum software.

The old stuff shows if you view the posts in threaded view. Only the new stuff shows up if you view in post view, which is my default, and I would never have noticed except that it was pointed out.

Hopefully, people can behave themselves and just be sensible about creating new threads, or at least forking old threads that wander off. We may have to ban bad actors, but I don't think we're there yet.

Matt

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Thread etiquette

jaygade said...

So it can't be fixed so that the thread doesn't show posts from 5-14 years ago, even though they're totally unrelated to the thread subject as a whole?

It can be fixed manually. Someone with db access has to go in and manually reset some numbers to detach the new posts from the older ones.

I've done this before, and I'll fix this thread too.

jaygade said...

How did those old posts get attached to that thread?

EUWX loaded up an old thread and posted a reply to it instead of posting a new topic.

jaygade said...

It seems like a pretty major glitch in the forum software.

I suppose.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Thread etiquette

jimcbrown said...

EUWX loaded up an old thread and posted a reply to it instead of posting a new topic.

I didn't realize that he had replied to an old thread. It looked like a bunch of unrelated threads all globbed into one monstrosity which is why I thought it was a glitch.

mattlewis said...

The old stuff shows if you view the posts in threaded view. Only the new stuff shows up if you view in post view, which is my default, and I would never have noticed except that it was pointed out.

Hopefully, people can behave themselves and just be sensible about creating new threads, or at least forking old threads that wander off. We may have to ban bad actors, but I don't think we're there yet.

Matt

Interesting -- I forgot that you could switch between the two I've been using the threaded view for so long.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu