1. Kudos to Euphoria 4 and the tireless team

Hi all,

I started with Euphoria just as it was open-sourced, and had always been keen to use it in a production environment.

I recently got the chance to use Euphoria in a way that I think really highlights its strengths. I needed a high-speed LAN-based web application which would sit behind the excellent (if rather dated) Xitami 2.5 web server, using its LRWP protocol. LRWP is like FastCGI, but much simpler to program.

Writing Euphoria code to work with the LRWP protocol and to implement the application code was trivial, thanks to the language and library support found in Euphoria 4. Everything I needed, such as sockets and hashtables were easily within reach and the entire code does not use a single external library. And yes, even the new goto statement helped!

The benefits of using Euphoria in my production application were many. The application stores and retrieves data using Euphoria's built-in serialization routines (no EDS or SQLite necessary), and offers excellent performance.

Best of all, after compiling, the entire application, plus the Xitami web server, can run off a USB drive, with absolutely no external dependencies. This offers our customers a cheap form of fault-tolerance. If any machine running the application dies, they only need to plug the USB drive into another PC and continue from where exactly where they left off.

The parsimonious system requirements of both Xitami and Euphoria (about 3-4MB RAM when running, near-zero CPU) makes running on virtually any Windows PC a reality. There is no way I could do this with Java, .NET or even Python, Perl, Ruby, Tcl or any number of popular scripting environments out there.

So I just wanted to say to the entire Euphoria team (especially Matt Lewis, Jeremy Cowgar and Derek Parnell, and others) a really BIG thank you!

KRG

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Kudos to Euphoria 4 and the tireless team

Thanks for that report, KRG! It's great that Euphoria met your needs so well.

(It would be cool to have a testimonies section of this web site.)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Kudos to Euphoria 4 and the tireless team

Hi euphoric,

You're welcome.

The other point of my post is that Euphoria 4 is great for building high-speed web application backends which do a lot of internal computation, and yet provide fast response times.

I used Xitami's LRWP in my application, but the same conceptual approach could be used for FCGI or SCGI, both of which are supported by popular web open-source servers such as Apache and nginx, as well as by IIS (SCGI support for IIS 6 is through an open-source component).

This could be a useful niche for Euphoria, especially on systems where you don't want to (or cannot) install large frameworks such as Java or .NET. I can imagine xCGI + Euphoria compiled apps running on hardware such as the Raspberry Pi, doing very productive things indeed.

And if I didn't mention it earlier, I should also say that the Euphoria 4 documentation is first rate! Being a developer myself, I know how much work goes into maintaining great documentation. Having used many, many open source packages, I can truly say that the Eu 3 and Eu 4 documentation is head-and-shoulders above the pack, with perhaps few other projects (with much, much more resources) doing better.

One other plus I've observed is that the Euphoria community is generally very approachable, helpful and respectful. I find it amazing that folks like Derek and Matt spend so much time patiently helping newbies and veterans alike in this forum, in addition to investing time improving Euphoria.

4. Re: Kudos to Euphoria 4 and the tireless team

krg said...

The other point of my post is that Euphoria 4 is great for building high-speed web application backends which do a lot of internal computation, and yet provide fast response times.

I'd just like to remind people that the OpenEuphoria site is entirely served up by Euphoria applications.

krg said...

One other plus I've observed is that the Euphoria community is generally very approachable, helpful and respectful. I find it amazing that folks like Derek and Matt spend so much time patiently helping newbies and veterans alike in this forum, in addition to investing time improving Euphoria.

Thank you very much.

5. Re: Kudos to Euphoria 4 and the tireless team

krg said...

And if I didn't mention it earlier, I should also say that the Euphoria 4 documentation is first rate! Being a developer myself, I know how much work goes into maintaining great documentation. Having used many, many open source packages, I can truly say that the Eu 3 and Eu 4 documentation is head-and-shoulders above the pack, with perhaps few other projects (with much, much more resources) doing better.

I'd like to point out that a lot of the documentation is still from Rob Craig's work. Also, uh, pre-4.0 euphoria, of course. smile

krg said...

Thanks for the thanks!

Matt

6. Re: Kudos to Euphoria 4 and the tireless team

Eu 4 is a really excellent programming language. I've been using it in a networked commercial production environment with considerable success.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu