1. An Icon with My Exe

Are there plans to include an -icon parameter for euc, or is it already available and I'm missing it somehow? I would like to start using custom icons again! :)

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: An Icon with My Exe

euphoric said...

Are there plans to include an -icon parameter for euc, or is it already available and I'm missing it somehow? I would like to start using custom icons again! :)

It is not currently there but this is a good idea.

What would happen is that when you use -icon fffff, euc will generate a resource script similar to ...

progicon ICON fffff.ico 

then it will invoke the resource compiler (rc.exe) to build the resource file and then add the appropriate option to the linker command line to bind the resource file to the resulting exe file.

Anyhow, something like that would be needed.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: An Icon with My Exe

Derek, is there a manual way to do this? I see that euc has a provision for specifying a configuration file. Can I manually create that file? If so, what format does it take?

Thanks!

4. Re: An Icon with My Exe

DerekParnell said...

Is there a way to do this manually until the automagic way is available?

5. Re: An Icon with My Exe

euphoric said...
DerekParnell said...

Is there a way to do this manually until the automagic way is available?

Generate a resource script (that is, I suppose, just open notepad and put something similiar to "progicon ICON fffff.ico" in it), then invoke rc.exe to compile the resource into the translated .exe - rc's syntax is documented @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa381055(VS.85).aspx

6. Re: An Icon with My Exe

jimcbrown said...

Generate a resource script (that is, I suppose, just open notepad and put something similiar to "progicon ICON fffff.ico" in it), then invoke rc.exe to compile the resource into the translated .exe - rc's syntax is documented @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa381055(VS.85).aspx

Thanks jimc. I'll give that a go tomorrow. :)

7. Re: An Icon with My Exe

I think at this point, euc can't make use of an rc file, so I've not been able to get an icon with my exe.

Jim, you seemed to indicate that rc could attach the icon after euc built it, but I can't find docs for that functionality. Did I misunderstand?

8. Re: An Icon with My Exe

euphoric said...

I think at this point, euc can't make use of an rc file, so I've not been able to get an icon with my exe.

Jim, you seemed to indicate that rc could attach the icon after euc built it, but I can't find docs for that functionality. Did I misunderstand?

Actually, this is already present in source/makefile.wat - except the devs decided to use wrc.exe instead of rc.exe

So you'd need to do this

wrc -q -ad myapp.res myapp.exe

Where myapp.res is a compiled resource. Compiled resources are generated from resource compilers from .rc scripts (sort of like, .rc is the source code and .res is the object file, I guess?).

From http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/vb/code/libraries/Resources/Using_RC_EXE/article.asp, it seems you can do this using M$'s rc.exe as follows:

RC /r /fo TEST32.RES TEST.RC

So you'd need to create myapp.rc with the right contents, then run the two commands:

rc /r /fo myapp.res myapp.rc 

(I'm assuming here that OpenWatcom's (?) wrc.exe and M$'s rc.exe use the same .rc and .res file formats. I'm not 100% certain this is the case, but it seems like a reasonable assumption.)

9. Re: An Icon with My Exe

jimcbrown said...

...do this

Yeah, that worked! I've got a custom icon with my exe now.

Thank you! :)

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu