1. Structures in 4.0?

Is there an easy (read: native) way to manage structures in memory in Euphoria 4.0? Or am I left to using peek/poke and a slew of constants plus the memory address? Note: I do not want to use any 3rd party libraries like tk_mem.e. I'd much prefer to use the included Euphoria libraries.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Structures in 4.0?

ghaberek said...

Is there an easy (read: native) way to manage structures in memory in Euphoria 4.0? Or am I left to using peek/poke and a slew of constants plus the memory address? Note: I do not want to use any 3rd party libraries like tk_mem.e. I'd much prefer to use the included Euphoria libraries.

-Greg

I assume you are talking about C structs. 4.0 does have some better data structure libraries (e.g. maps, sets, stacks) in the stdlib, but they aren't compatible.

4.0 does not have a C struct library as part of the stdlib. It improves the options for handling raw memory addresses but you still need to peek/poke manually.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Structures in 4.0?

Should we write something? I always thought it'd be nice to have a native structure-handling library. It would go hand-in-hand with dll.e. I mean, at least half the dll functions we link to use structures, right?

-Greg

4. Re: Structures in 4.0?

ghaberek said...

Should we write something? I always thought it'd be nice to have a native structure-handling library. It would go hand-in-hand with dll.e. I mean, at least half the dll functions we link to use structures, right?

-Greg

The ability to pass a C struct by value (rather than via a pointer) would be a huge boon to the current C interface. So would being able to take a C struct as a return value (rather than a pointer to said struct).

A native struct library should also be able to tell us the sizes of native C types (e.g. sizeof(int), sizeof(char), sizeof(short), sizeof(long)) rather than having us assume that it will always be 4, 1, 2, 4, etc.

Without these two features, I don't see the advantage of a native struct library over the existing 3rd party struct libraries.

5. Re: Structures in 4.0?

ghaberek said...

At this point, no. And it won't happen for 4.0. I've got some ideas for 4.1, however. I started a wiki page with some ideas:

http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/euwiki.cgi?SquareBracketDereferencing

Matt

6. Re: Structures in 4.0?

jimcbrown said...

The ability to pass a C struct by value (rather than via a pointer) would be a huge boon to the current C interface. So would being able to take a C struct as a return value (rather than a pointer to said struct).

Yes, that would be nice. Seems like it would have to be integrated into the interpreter somehow. All the structure routines I've used or written reference the memory pointer.

jimcbrown said...

A native struct library should also be able to tell us the sizes of native C types (e.g. sizeof(int), sizeof(char), sizeof(short), sizeof(long)) rather than having us assume that it will always be 4, 1, 2, 4, etc.

Decoding the C_* constants is pretty simple.

function sizeof( atom c_type ) 
    return and_bits( c_type, #FF ) 
end function 

function signed( atom c_type ) 
    return right_shift( c_type, #1000000 ) = #01 
end function 

function unsigned( atom c_type ) 
    return right_shift( c_type, #1000000 ) = #02 
end function 

function isfloat( atom c_type ) 
    return right_shift( c_type, #1000000 ) = #03 
end function 

-Greg

7. Re: Structures in 4.0?

ghaberek said...
jimcbrown said...

Yes, that would be nice. Seems like it would have to be integrated into the interpreter somehow. All the structure routines I've used or written reference the memory pointer.

It would. But we already have custom assembly code to manipulate the stack at arbiturary sizes. IOW, the hard part is already done, we just need to find a way to allow eu code to take advantage of it.

ghaberek said...
jimcbrown said...

Decoding the C_* constants is pretty simple.

Well, the size of a long will change on 64bit. Likewise, the size of an int is different on 16bit.

I was stating my preference for having machine_func()s in the interpreter that performed the sizeof() operation, rather than hardcoding constants in Eu code.

ghaberek said...
function sizeof( atom c_type ) 
    return and_bits( c_type, #FF ) 
end function 

function signed( atom c_type ) 
    return right_shift( c_type, #1000000 ) = #01 
end function 

function unsigned( atom c_type ) 
    return right_shift( c_type, #1000000 ) = #02 
end function 

function isfloat( atom c_type ) 
    return right_shift( c_type, #1000000 ) = #03 
end function 

-Greg

8. Re: Structures in 4.0?

I just whipped this up. Let me know what you think. Perhaps we could polish it and include it in the 4.0 release. (I'm not sure how much testing needs to be done, or how well this actually works for that matter.)

struct.e

-Greg

9. Re: Structures in 4.0?

ghaberek said...

I just whipped this up. Let me know what you think. Perhaps we could polish it and include it in the 4.0 release. (I'm not sure how much testing needs to be done, or how well this actually works for that matter.)

struct.e

I don't think we should include a structure library in the standard library. Here is my reasoning: Once we put something into the standard library, it probably shouldn't be removed. There are plans for adding improved native support for using raw memory structures. This is probably my (personal) highest priority for 4.1. The native support, I think, will be far superior to anything that anyone can implement in a euphoria library.

From glancing at the code, it seems reasonable. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the code used by win32lib, which has been my favorite structure library. I know that there are a few others out there, though I haven't really used them as much.

I'm actually really excited about the possibilities with enhancing euphoria to deal with raw memory. I think the approach I outlined here is a step in the right direction, but there are definitely some things that need to be worked out.

Matt

10. Re: Structures in 4.0?

If there is any possibily of declaring structures in 4.1 using 'structures' as a keyword can 'structure' be made a reserved word in 4.0 please?

11. Re: Structures in 4.0?

ArthurCrump said...

If there is any possibily of declaring structures in 4.1 using 'structures' as a keyword can 'structure' be made a reserved word in 4.0 please?

Yes, that's a good idea. Assuming we decide to use structure as a keyword. There hasn't really been a lot of thought put into this yet, so it's being chewed on right now.

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu